Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dax function for conditional formatting cells in matrix

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how can I go about creating a DAX function that can conditionally format the colour of the cells in the matrix table.

powerbi.PNG

▶️I would like to conditonal format specifically column "Actual" and "YTD".

The rules that I would like to implement is:

1. If the value is less than "Threshold", cell background to be red

2. If the value is between "Threshold" and "Target", cell background to be yellow

3. If the value is between "Target" and "Stretch", cell background to be blue

4. If the value is greater than "Stretch", cell background to be green

▶️Things to note is that, the "Threshold", "Target", "Stretch", "Actual", "YTD" values will be different for different years and months (i.e., users will get to pick the specific year and month he/she is interested in filter as shown in the slicer created).

Thanks lot for your help 😁

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

>>How do I modify the DAX function such that if the cell is blank (i.e., does not have any value), the cell background will be grey?

You need to confirm these blank cells are really include in your table instead of expanded by category fields, the conditional formatting feature should not works on not existed records.

For this scenario, you need to use unconnected tables with current category types as row and column axis, then you can write measure formula to use current row context to lookup raw table records. After these steps, you can do conditions formatting on this visual blank parts.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to add that, there are two instances where it uses an inverse scale (i.e., Non- Energy Cash Cost and LOC Incidents), in that case the rules will be the opposite of the ones mentioned above, where it has to be less than "Stretch" to be green and greater than "Threshold" to be red. Not sure how do I go about modifying the DAX function.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some update: I have managed to write the DAX function: 

PSC Actual = switch(true(), sum('KPI'[Actual]) > sum('KPI'[Stretch]) , "#34A853", sum('KPI'[Actual]) < sum('KPI'[Threshold]), "#EA4335", sum('KPI'[Target]) <= sum('KPI'[Target]) ,"#FBBC05","#8EB6F8")

How do I modify the DAX function such that if the cell is blank (i.e., does not have any value), the cell background will be grey?

Hi @Anonymous,

>>How do I modify the DAX function such that if the cell is blank (i.e., does not have any value), the cell background will be grey?

You need to confirm these blank cells are really include in your table instead of expanded by category fields, the conditional formatting feature should not works on not existed records.

For this scenario, you need to use unconnected tables with current category types as row and column axis, then you can write measure formula to use current row context to lookup raw table records. After these steps, you can do conditions formatting on this visual blank parts.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors