Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

bkuhlmann
Frequent Visitor

DateAdd Not Working As Expected

Hi Everyone - I'm using DATEADD to compare current QTD values against QTD values from the prior year. The SQLBI article linked below indicates that I should be able to breakout last year's QTD figures by month. While my formula is correctly returning the total value, when I try to break it out by month each month shows the same number

Differences between DATEADD and PARALLELPERIOD in DAX - SQLBI

My 2 tables are Calendar_CreateDate and Opportunity and they are joined in a bi-directional relationship, so I'm using CROSSFILTER to make it oneway for this measure bc DATEADD will not work otherwise. I'm using CALCULATETABLE to filter the calendar table to result all the dates from the start of the current quarter until today.

Prior Year (QTD)2 = 
CALCULATE(
    SELECTEDMEASURE(), 
    DATEADD(
        CALCULATETABLE(
            VALUES(Calendar_CreateDate[Create Date]), 
            CROSSFILTER(Opportunity[Opp Create Date],Calendar_CreateDate[Create Date], OneWay), 
            Calendar_CreateDate[Flag: CFQ (Create Date)] = "Y", 
            Calendar_CreateDate[Create Date] <= TODAY()
        ), 
        YEAR
    )
)

Here is the result:

bkuhlmann_0-1710509903518.png

How come this isn't working for me?
4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@bkuhlmann You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, see if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TIT...

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg! I almost have your "Hard Way" working for me, but I'm struggling to return the correct MaxYear...I don't want the max year from the calendar table, rather I want the current year. I'm trying to filter the table to return the current year from my calendar table by using filtering it down based on Create Date = TODAY() but I'm struggling to return a single value to the variable. I've tried numerous functions to no avail. Thanks in advance!

@bkuhlmann Why not just Create Year = YEAR(TODAY()) 

or am I missing something?

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I was trying to use my calendar table because our fiscal year does not match our calendar year, and I also need to get both the FY and FQ. I could recreate those formulas in the measure but would prefer to pull from the calendar table instead.

Is there a way to get the FY and FQ for "today" from my calendar table instead?

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.