Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CoTheiss
Frequent Visitor

Data Mapping based on other table's field name

Hi Community ! 

As my BI-experiences are more with other tools than PowerBI, I am struggling on this one as I think it should work somehow:

I do have two tables:

Data

DataID Column2 Column3 Column4
1Text123<null>Text789
2<null>Text456Text789

Scoring

ScoringID DataColumn Score
1Column210
2Column35
3Column420

My issue:

I want to apply a scoring for DataQuality for one of my tables.

Meaning: I have a defined Scoring table applying a score per specific column that should be applied if the datafield is not null.

Based on the example posted, DataID 1 will have a score of 30, while DataID 2 should have a scoring of 25.

So I at least think, that I need something like

if(Data.ColumnName() = [Scoring].[DataColumn], if(isnull([Data].[Column2]),0,1)*[Scoring].[DataColumn])  

However, I am stuck due to the lack of PowerBI knowledge as I do not know where exactly to apply and as well how to get this comparision with the field name.

Hope someone can help me out here 🙂

Also, if there are any other or built-in options to do this - very appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PawarNovil
Frequent Visitor

Hello @CoTheiss 

You can create a calculated column  in your Data Table as

Score =
IF('DataID'[Column1]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column1")))+         IF('DataID'[Column2]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column2")))+
      IF('DataID'[Column3]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column3")))

PawarNovil_0-1667993006188.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you can achive this by unpivoting Data table col1, col2, col3 in advance editor.

PawarNovil_3-1667993962809.png

After that you need to merge data table and score table on column "Datacolumn". 

PawarNovil_1-1667993746912.png

After merging your Data table look like this, then you can aggregate the data or create measure to get your desired result.

PawarNovil_2-1667993835564.png

Regards,

Novil

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PawarNovil
Frequent Visitor

Hello @CoTheiss 

You can create a calculated column  in your Data Table as

Score =
IF('DataID'[Column1]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column1")))+         IF('DataID'[Column2]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column2")))+
      IF('DataID'[Column3]=BLANK(),0,CALCULATE(sum(Score[Score]),FILTER(Score,Score[Datacolumn]="column3")))

PawarNovil_0-1667993006188.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also you can achive this by unpivoting Data table col1, col2, col3 in advance editor.

PawarNovil_3-1667993962809.png

After that you need to merge data table and score table on column "Datacolumn". 

PawarNovil_1-1667993746912.png

After merging your Data table look like this, then you can aggregate the data or create measure to get your desired result.

PawarNovil_2-1667993835564.png

Regards,

Novil

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution.

Hi @PawarNovil 

I just tried the first approach with the calculated column and it works! 

I also learned, that having a datafield with len(Field)=0 does not neccessarily equals blank() - as I needed to adapt the formula to if('Data'[Column2]="",...) 

I did not try the second approach (yet) as the first one was sufficient already (and my dataset is quite wide and long) 

BeaBF
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@CoTheiss Looks to me like this is only possible when you transpose Table Data:

BeaBF_0-1667991372250.png

using DataColumn as key between Data Table and Scoring Table.

BBF

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.