Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexandrast
Frequent Visitor

DAX percentage over hierarchy - my column totals are not respecting the column filter context

I have a matrix with a row hierarchy - the parent field is Team Leader and the child is Agent. The values are [Number of Coachings] and the columns are [YearMonth]. All my data is in a single table so there are no data model relationships.

I have created a measure to capture the percentage of coachings over hierarchy - when it is an agent row I want the percentage of the total coachings of that agent, when it is a team leader I want the percentage of all the team leaders, but only for that YearMonth column. My formula is calculating the percentage of all columns and I cannot figure out how to modify it to make it functional.

The measure formula - (Variable X contains all my report slicers)

% Parent By Agent = 

VAR x = ALLEXCEPT(Query1, Query1[Team Leader],Query1[JobStatus], Query1[DepartmentGroup], Query1[DaysSinceHire], Query1[NewAgent_Current], Query1[YearMonth])

VAR Scope_Agent = CALCULATE(COUNT(Query1[Feedback_Title]),x,Query1[Team Leader] = VALUES(Query1[Team Leader]))

VAR Scope_TL = CALCULATE(COUNT(Query1[Feedback_Title]),ALLSELECTED(Query1))

RETURN

SWITCH(

TRUE()

// Agent rows  
ISINSCOPE(Query1[Agent]), DIVIDE(COUNT(Query1[Feedback_Title]), Scope_Agent), 

//Team Leader rows
ISINSCOPE(Query1[Team Leader]), DIVIDE(COUNT(Query1[Feedback_Title]), Scope_TL), 

//Grand Total row
, DIVIDE(COUNT(Query1[Feedback_Title]), Scope_TL))

It works when I filter on 1 YearMonth column, but if I select more than 1 YearMonth values, the percentage is calculated over all columns.

How can I modify so that the formula calculates on the column filter context for all hierarchy levels? I want each level of the hierarchy for each YearMonth column to add up to 100%. Currently the child percentage adds up to 100% per column but the parent percentage is calculating on the time period in the slicer, not on the matrix column.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

something like this?

lbendlin_0-1680310440665.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

something like this?

lbendlin_0-1680310440665.png

It works, thank you so much!
Such a simple statement, too.

Would it be possible to explain why this works? I don't understand how REMOVEFILTERS does not remove the slicer or report-level filters, and how it does not remove the column context.

I used REMOVEFILTERS only against the specified column. All other filters remain intact.  That is a technique sometimes called "filtering up".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors