Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

duncfair
Advocate II
Advocate II

DAX help needed - inherited code timing out

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

I have inherited a report with some (to me, anyway) complex DAX that I have been told is causing my time-out issues.

Please let me know what else I would need to post to provide enough information for assistance.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SelectedFcst =
VAR Mth = [SelectedKPI_Month]
VAR Qtr = [SelectedKPI_Qtr]
VAR CY = [Current_FY]
VAR CM = [Current_Mth]
RETURN
SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Version],
// Current Forecast
2, SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Time],
// FY
1, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes")),
// YTD
2, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalMonthofYear] <= Mth), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes")),
// QTD
3, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalMonthofYear] <= Mth), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalQuarter] = Qtr), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalYear] = [Current_FY])),
// MTD
4, IF(Mth = CM, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), vw_FiscalCal[SelectedMonth] = "Yes", vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes"), CALCULATE(SUM(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalMonth] = Mth, Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalYear] = CY)
)),
// Prior Forecast
4, SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Time],
// FY
1, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes")),
// YTD
2, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalMonthofYear] <= Mth), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes")),
// QTD
3, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalMonthofYear] <= Mth), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalQuarter] = Qtr), FILTER(ALL(vw_FiscalCal), vw_FiscalCal[FiscalYear] = [Current_FY])),
// MTD
4, IF(Mth = CM, CALCULATE(sum(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), vw_FiscalCal[SelectedMonth] = "Yes", vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes"), CALCULATE(SUM(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalMonth] = Mth, Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalYear] = CY)
))
)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 REPLIES 12
duncfair
Advocate II
Advocate II

No change - same issue.

duncfair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Import.

List of thoughts...

If you drop the measure into a very simple card visual does it process?

In PowerQuery if you put a filter on to reduce data volume (eg limit it to previous 2 years) does the visual render? If so can you send a screen shot of what the visual is.

Other things to look at:

Remove large chunks of the switch statement (or comment out the chunks and have it return a static value). To try and narrow down a particular aspect of the query. (Nothing jumps out).

I'd normally paste the query for the visual into dax studio and have a look at it's execution in there.

Lastly I wondered if you could split the measure out into a calculation group and use that to dynamically change the measure rather than a switch statement. I think doing it that way would remove the full execution that I assume is currently happening.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

The visual always renders in PowerBI desktop and occasionally renders in the service as well.

May have to try the pre-aggregation route. 

Another route to try is to pre aggregate the data at refresh time.

I can write some more specific code when next by a computer but you want a calculated table that summarises the table that gets summed grouped by all your date columns.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
duncfair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unfortunately - still timing out.

duncfair_0-1638828696747.png

Can you tell us a bit about your infrastructure?

Specifically are you running in DirectQuery or Import mode?

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

I haven't changed much, and I think what I have is mostly syntax sugar but hopefully it makes things a little more readable. Did however remove a second reference to [Current_FY] and used the pre calculated CY variable instead.

Can you see if this is any better (suspect not) and post any error messages you get.

SelectedFcst =
VAR Mth = [SelectedKPI_Month]
VAR Qtr = [SelectedKPI_Qtr]
VAR CY = [Current_FY]
VAR CM = [Current_Mth]
RETURN
SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Version],
// Current Forecast
2, SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Time],
// FY
1, CALCULATE(
		SUM(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Current]), 
		REMOVEFILTERS(vw_FiscalCal), 
		vw_FiscalCal[Is_Current_Yr] = "Yes"),
// YTD
2, CALCULATE(
		vw_FiscalCal[FiscalMonthofYear] <= Mth, 
// QTD
3, CALCULATE(
		vw_FiscalCal[FiscalQuarter] = Qtr,
		vw_FiscalCal[FiscalYear] = CY),
// MTD
4, IF(
		Mth = CM, 
		CALCULATE(
			vw_FiscalCal[SelectedMonth] = "Yes", 
		CALCULATE(
			Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalMonth] = Mth, 
			Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalYear] = CY)
	),
// Prior Forecast
4, SWITCH([SelectedKPI_Time],
	// FY
	1, CALCULATE(
			SUM(Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[Prior]), 
	// YTD
	2, CALCULATE(
	// QTD
	3, CALCULATE(
			vw_FiscalCal[FiscalQuarter] = Qtr,
			vw_FiscalCal[FiscalYear] = CY),
	// MTD
	4, IF(
			Mth = CM, 
			CALCULATE(
				vw_FiscalCal[SelectedMonth] = "Yes", 
			CALCULATE(
				Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalMonth] = Mth, 
				Rev_Consol_Pivot_PowerBI[FiscalYear] = CY)
				))) 

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks!

error generated:

A function 'PLACEHOLDER' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed.

That must have been prior to the update. No error now. I will test and circle back.

Thank you so much!

I'd expect this to help at least some having column filters rather than table filters.

P.S. There's one remaining [Current_FY] you probably want to replace.

Good spot, have updated.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.