Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

lfrosales
Frequent Visitor

DAX Rolling WoW with Week Numbers (no Dates)

Hi All,

I am trying to do something in DAX that I can easily do with Excel (show value as difference from previous "x"). In this case, I have a column of Week Numbers with their respective Widget Counts for that week number. In Excel, I can drop into the pivot table and ask it to show me the value difference from the previous week number (regardless of whether it's a date or not). Image below:

2019-05-30 17_40_52-Book13 - Excel.png

I tried something to the effect of:

WoW =
VAR LastWeekCount =
SUMX(
FILTER(
'Query1',
'Query1'[WeekNum] = 'Query1'[WeekNum]-1
)
, 'Query1'[Widgets])
VAR fCount = Query1[Widgets]

RETURN fCount - LastWeekCount

Can someone help me convert a very easy Excel feature (show value as difference based on previous "x") to a seemingly obvious DAX statement that I can't quite figure out?

Thanks in advance as always!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@lfrosales add following measure

WoW Widget = 
VAR __prevWeek = MAX( Table1[Week] ) - 1
VAR __thisWeekWidget = SUM( Table1[Widgets] )
VAR __prevWeekWidget = CALCULATE( SUM( Table1[Widgets] ), Table1[Week] =  __prevWeek ) 
RETURN __thisWeekWidget - __prevWeekWidget

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@lfrosales add following measure

WoW Widget = 
VAR __prevWeek = MAX( Table1[Week] ) - 1
VAR __thisWeekWidget = SUM( Table1[Widgets] )
VAR __prevWeekWidget = CALCULATE( SUM( Table1[Widgets] ), Table1[Week] =  __prevWeek ) 
RETURN __thisWeekWidget - __prevWeekWidget

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you so much! I was struggling a couple hours on something that seemed super straightforward and you proved that it was! In my delirium, I accidentally tried adding it as a calculated column and wasn't having any luck, then I realized that you said as a measure! Worked like a charm! The only quirk I will try to work out is that it looks at week 1 of the year and gives it a value equal to that week's widget count. I will try to figure out a way to tell it to ignore Week 1 and continue with the rest.

See below:

2019-05-30 19_39_27-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.