Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Counting number of responses per calendar month for three response types

Hi guys, I have a data set from which I'd like to count the number of responses per calendar month but divided into three different response types (agree, disagree and neutral). So my end result would look something like this: 

geekface101_0-1635160898168.png

My source data table looks like this: 

Date SubmittedResponseDate Submitted (bins)
16/04/2021 13:00AgreeApr-21
18/09/2020 11:37AgreeSep-20
16/04/2021 13:46AgreeApr-21
18/09/2020 11:17AgreeSep-20
16/04/2021 14:58AgreeApr-21
06/04/2021 08:50AgreeApr-21

I'm quite a beginner in PowerBI so I'm not sure if this can be achieved using calculated columns or if I need to create a calculated table from my data? Thanks for any guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

I am not sure about your data model, so I created a dummy data set based on your sample and did the following. Please check the attached file.

Fowmy_0-1635168265801.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You can create three measures, I created for Agree below, do the same for the rest two. Replace the Table Name with yours

Agree = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( TableName ),
    TableName[Response] = "Agree"
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy , thank you for the reply. The problem with using measures is that I'm trying to show an average line for each response type in a line and stacked column chart (see below) and it doesn't seem that you can calculate average automatically from the measure in the graph settings? 

geekface101_0-1635162871981.png

Thank you!

@Anonymous 

I answered based on your initial question. Now it seems you have a different issue. ,So, you need to show a stacked column chart for the count of each response and to show three average lines for each of them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy , yes that is correct. Apologies, I should've added that detail in my initial question. Thank you

@Anonymous 

You are using a Line and Stacked Column Chart here, you can create three more measures to calculate the average and add them in the Line Values Section. You can use the [Agree] measure that you created above within the Calculate below. 

Agree Avg = 
CALCULATE(
    [Agree],
    ALLSELECTED(TableName[Date Submitted (Bin)]),
    TableName[Response] = "Agree"
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy ,

I created a new measure for Agree Avg as you described and added it to the line values but this line seems to be indicating the total agree responses per month rather than the average? Perhap it's me not being clear again, the average I'm looking for is the average across all the months, therefore as new months are added to the model the average line for each response type is adjusted. Thank you for your help so far

@Anonymous 

I am not sure about your data model, so I created a dummy data set based on your sample and did the following. Please check the attached file.

Fowmy_0-1635168265801.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Fowmy , thank you for sending the file. I noticed you used the AVERAGEX function to calculate the averages. That did the trick, thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors