Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count the valid items by months

Dear Community,

I am building a data dashboard for a fitness center and I need some help with calculating the valid number of memberships at the end of every month.
I have the dates, when I sold the different yearly or monhly memberships and the dates until these memberships are valid.
How can I calculate how many valid memberships do I have at the end of every month? Thank you in advance!

file 

2020-01-23_16h01_20.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So, on first glance you need to decide when we count a valid subsciption within a month and when not. There is a valid subscription on 02/06/2019 yet your table shows 0 for 06.2019. What is the border? What if the enddate is 17/06/2019? Does the value change to 1? What if it is 29/06/2019? Still 0 or actually 1? You need to define that boundry.

I loaded your data into PowerBI and created a calculated table that has every day for each valid membership in it. Because of the question above and your expected result, I assumed that we won't count the month in which a membership ends. The calculated table is this:

GeneratedTable = 
GENERATE('Table',    
    VAR _curStartDate = 'Table'[date sold]
    VAR _curEndDate = EOMONTH('Table'[valid until], -1)
    RETURN
    GENERATESERIES(_curStartDate, _curEndDate))

Then I create a measure that counts the distinct memberships:

DistinctMembers = DISTINCTCOUNT(GeneratedTable[Member number])

Then I created a table visual with DateSold (only Year/Month) and the measure:

image.png

PBIX file can be found here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ancq8HFZYL_aiItDUonqIklYNkn7Nw?e=SZ73Cx 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank yor very much for the great solution!

Agnes

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So, on first glance you need to decide when we count a valid subsciption within a month and when not. There is a valid subscription on 02/06/2019 yet your table shows 0 for 06.2019. What is the border? What if the enddate is 17/06/2019? Does the value change to 1? What if it is 29/06/2019? Still 0 or actually 1? You need to define that boundry.

I loaded your data into PowerBI and created a calculated table that has every day for each valid membership in it. Because of the question above and your expected result, I assumed that we won't count the month in which a membership ends. The calculated table is this:

GeneratedTable = 
GENERATE('Table',    
    VAR _curStartDate = 'Table'[date sold]
    VAR _curEndDate = EOMONTH('Table'[valid until], -1)
    RETURN
    GENERATESERIES(_curStartDate, _curEndDate))

Then I create a measure that counts the distinct memberships:

DistinctMembers = DISTINCTCOUNT(GeneratedTable[Member number])

Then I created a table visual with DateSold (only Year/Month) and the measure:

image.png

PBIX file can be found here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ancq8HFZYL_aiItDUonqIklYNkn7Nw?e=SZ73Cx 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.