Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DeniseDL
Regular Visitor

Calculate the percentage of employees in a specific branch who have completed courses

Hello,

HELP!!

I am fairly new to Power BI and I am having trouble figuring out how to create the correct measure for what I need to show.

I need to show the percentage of employees in the region & branch who have completed courses and then show who those people are.

I have:

CSPS School table - shows all completed courses and which employees have completed them 

MyGCHR HR Table - shows all employees in the department by region and branch

What I have done is created 3 measures: 

Total Employees = COUNT('MyGCHR report'[Full Name]
Total Courses Completed = COUNT('CSPS Report'[Transcript Status])
% Completed = [Total Employees] / [Total Completed]

The results that I'm getting are almost correct.  I'm showing:
Region (correct)
     Branch (correct)
          # of employees who have completed courses (correct)  
                 List of Courses each employee has taken
The percentages are incorrect - this is where I'm struggling - there are way more than 8 employees in the P&C branch so the percentage is obviously incorrect.  I want to show the percentage of employees in the region & branch who have completed courses and then show who those people are.
Course chart.PNG
Any advice would be great!

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you change the relationship between CSPS and MyGCHR Report to single direction, so that CSPS filters MyGCHR Report and not the other way around ?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DeniseDL
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the reply.  However, I seem to be getting a weird result and I can't figure out why.

When I have no date filter applied, the percentage comes out correctly (Total employees who have completed courses / Total employees). Figures marked in yellow.

DeniseDL_0-1681730447520.png

However, when I apply the date filter to reflect our fiscal year of April 1/22 - Mar 31/23, the percentage isn't correct.

DeniseDL_1-1681730630124.png

7900 / 16036 doesn't add up to 109.87%

The measures I am using are:

Total employees - All = DISTINCTCOUNT('MyGCHR report'[EmployeeID])
Total employees who completed courses = DISTINCTCOUNT('CSPS Report'[Empoyee ID])
% Employees completed courses = [Total employees who completed courses]/[Total employees - All]

I'm sure it's something silly that I'm missing.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them as I am stuck on this one thing.

Thank you!

Is there a relationship between your date table and 'MyGCHR report' ? If there is, check for blank values in the 'MyGCHR report' column.

No there isn't a relationship between the date table and the MyGCHR report.  I also made sure there were no blanks in the CSPS report.  It seems to work fine until I change the date.

DeniseDL_0-1681816068493.png

Can you change the relationship between CSPS and MyGCHR Report to single direction, so that CSPS filters MyGCHR Report and not the other way around ?

Woohoo!  This worked.  Turns out there were duplicates in the MyGCHR report that shouldn't have been there and once I removed them and changed the cardinality, it all worked great!  Thank you so much for all your help with this😁

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Assuming that employees can complete more than one course, I think the measure for the number of employees who have completed a course should be

Employees completed courses =
DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'CSPS Report'[Employee ID] )

You can then use that measure in your calculation of the %

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.