Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Calculate last 3 Weekends Work

Hello everybody.

Is it possible to determine, if an employee has worked the last 3 weekends based on this information?

DateStaff Nr.Count

I have a calendar table that contains data for Weekend (Weekday 6 & 7) and Weeknumer (1-53).

In the end I need a column that contains "Yes" or "No", if the employee has worked the last 3 weekends. 

Best Regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Here is one way to do it.  Assuming you have a Date table with a relationship to the Date field in your StaffData table.

Worked Last 3 Weekends = var lastthreeweeks = TOPN(3,VALUES('Date'[Week]), CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Date])))
var weekendsworked = COUNTROWS(FILTER(lastthreeweeks, CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(StaffData), 'Date'[IsWeekend]="Y")))
return weekendsworked

This will return the # of weeks in which at least one weekend day was worked on.  Note two things - this assume the Staff number will be part of your visual (to provide that filter context), and that since technically Sat and Sun are part of two separate weeks in any given weekend, you may not get exactly the results you expect.  I am thinking of a way to add a column on the Date table to group Sat/Sun into the same weekend (probably will need that again).  Hopefully, this gets you close enough and you can modify it for what you need.

Update: This is probably already solved out there somewhere, but here is the calculated column I came up with to group Sat and Sun of each weekend together.  If you use this field instead of Date[Week] in the Values( ) above, you will get what you are looking for.

EndOfWeekendDate = if(WEEKDAY('Date'[Date])=1, 'Date'[Date], 'Date'[Date]+8-WEEKDAY('Date'[Date]))

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are great too.  Please let me know if it doesn't or if any questions.
Regards,
Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

// Assumption:
// Calendar connected via Date to T[Date] via 1:*.
// Weeknumber in your Calendar must not restart with
// each year. It must number weeks from the first one
// to the last one. If your Weeknumber restarts in
// each year, please create a column with a continuous
// numbering of weeks and use it instead.

[Worked in Last 3 Weekends] =
var __person = T[Staff Nr]
var __currentWeeknumber = related( 'Calendar'[Weeknumber] )
var __currentDayIsSunday = 
	( related( 'Calendar'[Weekday] ) = 7 )
var __weekendDaysInLast3Weekends =
	filter(
		'Calendar'[Date],
		'Calendar'[Weeknumber] in {
			(__currentWeeknumber - 1) + __currentDayIsSunday,
			(__currentWeeknumber - 2) + __currentDayIsSunday,
			(__currentWeeknumber - 3) + __currentDayIsSunday
		}
		&&
		'Calendar'[Weekday] in {6,7}
	)
var __workedInLast3Weekends =
	COUNTROWS(
		INTERSECT(
			SELECTCOLUMNS(
				FILTER(
					T,
					T[Staff Nr] = __person
				),
				"@Date", T[Date]
			),
			__weekendDaysInLast3Weekends
		)
	) = 6 // working 3 full weekends
return
	if( __workedInLast3Weekends,
		"Yes",
		"No"
	)

Please note that if the day you're calculating this is Sunday, then the logic is different than when you calculate this on a different day. Hence the adjustment in the FILTER function of the form "+ __currentDayIsSunday."

Best

D

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

// Assumption:
// Calendar connected via Date to T[Date] via 1:*.
// Weeknumber in your Calendar must not restart with
// each year. It must number weeks from the first one
// to the last one. If your Weeknumber restarts in
// each year, please create a column with a continuous
// numbering of weeks and use it instead.

[Worked in Last 3 Weekends] =
var __person = T[Staff Nr]
var __currentWeeknumber = related( 'Calendar'[Weeknumber] )
var __currentDayIsSunday = 
	( related( 'Calendar'[Weekday] ) = 7 )
var __weekendDaysInLast3Weekends =
	filter(
		'Calendar'[Date],
		'Calendar'[Weeknumber] in {
			(__currentWeeknumber - 1) + __currentDayIsSunday,
			(__currentWeeknumber - 2) + __currentDayIsSunday,
			(__currentWeeknumber - 3) + __currentDayIsSunday
		}
		&&
		'Calendar'[Weekday] in {6,7}
	)
var __workedInLast3Weekends =
	COUNTROWS(
		INTERSECT(
			SELECTCOLUMNS(
				FILTER(
					T,
					T[Staff Nr] = __person
				),
				"@Date", T[Date]
			),
			__weekendDaysInLast3Weekends
		)
	) = 6 // working 3 full weekends
return
	if( __workedInLast3Weekends,
		"Yes",
		"No"
	)

Please note that if the day you're calculating this is Sunday, then the logic is different than when you calculate this on a different day. Hence the adjustment in the FILTER function of the form "+ __currentDayIsSunday."

Best

D

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your fact table is big, you should not create a calculated column in it because the calculation will be slow, especially if someone gives you a formula that contains CALCULATE. Please do this in Power Query or in the data source.

Best
D

Thanks for your advice. The fact table is not really big. How would you calculate that with a dax measure?

Here is one way to do it.  Assuming you have a Date table with a relationship to the Date field in your StaffData table.

Worked Last 3 Weekends = var lastthreeweeks = TOPN(3,VALUES('Date'[Week]), CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Date])))
var weekendsworked = COUNTROWS(FILTER(lastthreeweeks, CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(StaffData), 'Date'[IsWeekend]="Y")))
return weekendsworked

This will return the # of weeks in which at least one weekend day was worked on.  Note two things - this assume the Staff number will be part of your visual (to provide that filter context), and that since technically Sat and Sun are part of two separate weeks in any given weekend, you may not get exactly the results you expect.  I am thinking of a way to add a column on the Date table to group Sat/Sun into the same weekend (probably will need that again).  Hopefully, this gets you close enough and you can modify it for what you need.

Update: This is probably already solved out there somewhere, but here is the calculated column I came up with to group Sat and Sun of each weekend together.  If you use this field instead of Date[Week] in the Values( ) above, you will get what you are looking for.

EndOfWeekendDate = if(WEEKDAY('Date'[Date])=1, 'Date'[Date], 'Date'[Date]+8-WEEKDAY('Date'[Date]))

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are great too.  Please let me know if it doesn't or if any questions.
Regards,
Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.