Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Find articles, guides, information and community news

Most Recent
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

A year ago, I was developing a solution for collecting and analyzing usage data of a Power BI premium capacity. There were not only some simple log files, but also data that I had to convert into a slowly changing dimension type 2. Therefore, I decided for the following architecture - Azure Data Factory pipelines collect data on daily basis, the raw data is stored in a data lake forever, and the cleansed data is then moved to a SQL Server database. Because the data is stored on a SQL Server, I can use incremental refresh in Power BI service. It works perfectly.
But the times are changing, new requirements are coming, and I have found a new straight way, how to load logs directly from the data lake into a Power BI dataset. And all that incrementally! Where I need a SCD, a SQL Server database will stay in the middle, whereas for all other data I can use a new mindset.

In this article I want to show you how you can load parquet files stored in an Azure data lake direct into your Power BI dataset. It involves an incremental refresh and an ETL process, too!

Read more...

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Did you know there are some amazing keyboard shortcuts in Power BI, especially when coding DAX? Add multiple cursors, copy line up, handy replacement tricks, etc!

Read more...

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

The article is about how to put the row and column subtotals in front of the matrix.

Read more...

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

As shown in the following sample table, when we want to get all the values of the ID with the latest start time, we need to filter twice to get the result.
Ex: The Dataset ID (A) contains the latest Start Time. Now we want to get all rows which contain Dataset ID A. We can see Dataset ID A has two rows. If we only filter the latest Start Time, we can only get one row of A.
Therefore, we first get the dataset ID based on the latest start time, and then get all the values by filtering the previous obtained dataset ID(A).
If you want to get result in the example table below, you can use Power Query or Dax.

Read more...

KellyK
Community Admin
Community Admin

Join us to Learn, Connect and Grow at #MSIgnite! Explore something new or dive back into your favorite content and conversations. Either way, you can start your journey right now. Register here: https://myignite.microsoft.com/

Read more...

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Did you ever have to combine a few tables, but you were not sure if you should do that in SQL Server with UNION ALL, in Power Query with APPEND or in DAX with UNION?

In general, where are the differences? And how do the three approaches behave in case of duplicate rows, unequal number of columns, deviating column names and order?

In this article we will analyze in detail the different approaches.

The post is relatively detailed, for all of those who consider it too long (tl;dr) here is the comparison table:

28.png

Read more...

Helpful resources

Join Blog
Interested in blogging for the community? Let us know.