Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mr_wizard
Helper II
Helper II

features disabled by Private Link

My organization needs to block all public internet traffic to Power BI and send all traffic through a private link (via Azure Private Link).  I am trying to determine what Power BI features this change impacts.  I have read the following documentation for that:
Private endpoints for secure access to Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

There are 2 features that I'm particularly interested in: gateways and connections to data sources.  I have some questions about the following statements from the documentation about those features.

(1) For Power BI users, On-premise Data Gateway is not supported and fails to register when private links are enabled. To run GW configurator successfully, they must disable private links.

We currently use an On-premises Data Gateway because our data sources are on-prem.  Does the statement above mean that we will no longer be able to refresh datasets connected to those sources?  Or, does it mean that we need to use the Virtual Network Data Gateway instead?  Or, because of the use of Azure Private Link, do we need to use a gateway at all?

(2) If internet access is disabled, and if the dataset or dataflow connects to a Power BI dataset or dataflow as a data source, the connection fails.

We separate our datasets (tabular cubes) from most of our reports (so that the same dataset can be used by multiple reports).  Those datasets are hosted in Power BI (rather than, say, Azure Analysis Services).  Does the statement above mean that we can no longer use this pattern, i.e., that we can no longer source multiple reports from a given dataset?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @mr_wizard ,

I'm unsure about the 2nd aspect, but you can use on-premises data gateways when Private Link is on! If you want to configure a gateway (register the gateway with the Power BI Service), the Private Link must be off. After configuring the gateway(s), you can use Private Link again. This means you have to think about your on-premises gateway architecture a little longer, as turning Private Link off and on again will affect the whole organization (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install).

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens 
I think I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.  Are you saying that Private Link and a gateway only conflict with each other when standing up a new gateway or reconfiguring an existing gateway?  That is, that the gateway will work as intended during "normal" use of the gateway (allow for dataset refreshes) when Private Link is turned on?

Hey @mr_wizard ,

a configured gateway works as expected when private link is turned on.

Configuring a new gateway requires private link turned off during configuring the new gateway.

Not sure about re-configuring an existing gateway.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors