Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Dams_
Frequent Visitor

Where does the Powerquery run in a Dataflow ?

Hello everyone, 

I have a setup with a dataflow connected to a gateway pointing to a database.

I want to upload data to my dataflow without the personnal information contained inside.

I created power query code able to clean all of the data, but I'm not sure of one thing : 

Is it running on my gateway, or on the microsoft's servers ? 

I want to keep all personal information from leaving the network, so I need to know.

If it runs on microsoft's servers, can I do the cleaning in my SQL queries ?

I couldn't find the doc for this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gateways are mandatory for on premise data sources, however you can also choose to refresh your cloud data sources through the gateway. That would be another avenue for your data to travel.  Cross source data leakage is governed by the Formula Firewall.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your data will be processed on the gateway and then handed over to the Power BI Service. You need to clear out the PII as part of the Power Query script, or further upstream (in an SQL view, for example).

Thank you for the answer !

In the mean time, I have found the following documentation :

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dataflows/data-exfiltration-best-practices

So if I understand correctly, what you said is what is described in the "Network Isolation section", am I right ? 

As long as my gateway is correctly setup, refreshing my dataflow should use the gateway execution engine ?

gateways are mandatory for on premise data sources, however you can also choose to refresh your cloud data sources through the gateway. That would be another avenue for your data to travel.  Cross source data leakage is governed by the Formula Firewall.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors