Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Dave-ExpSC
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to Edit Credentials in PBI Service - MySQL source

Hello Community,

Looking for some help with an issue related to inability to Edit Credentials in PBI Service so I can get automatic Refreshes working again. It has been working for 2 years. I don't believe that I have made any changes that would create this issue.
Specifics:

• It is a MySQL database. Desktop app Refreshes with no issues and I can Publish to the service manually
  • The automatic refreshes that were working failed after 4 attempts and now I can not turn the Refresh back on again
  • In Service PBI Settings - Semantic Models. Refresh is greyed out and Data Credentials has the triangle error symbol and message "Failed to test the connection to your data source. Please retry your credentials." When I try to update Credentials I get this error. I am using Basic authentication and have tried Organizational and Private - Privacy Levels. No luck there.
    • Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'One or more errors occurred.'Hide details

Activity ID:*****
      Request ID:********
      Status code:400
      Time:Wed May 08 2024 11:53:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
      Service version:13.0.23216.54
      Client version:2404.5.19055-train
      Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-east-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
  • In Manage Connections and Gateways the Status for Connection shows Offline.
  • In On Premise Data Gateway (Personal Mode) the Status shows Online

Should I remove my Connection (in Manage Connections and Gateways) and add a New one?
I'm doubtful that this will fix my Edit Credentials issue - so have not tried this yet.
I have seen Posts that others have had similar problems and that they we're actual bugs to be fixed but they weren't MySQL. Not sure if this makes a difference or not.
I could really use some help because my auto refreshes service a data team that I am now having to do manual refreshes for.
Thanks for any help.

After reinstalling the Personal Gateway, as Admin, I looked in Services.msc and the Event Viewer and can not find it there -- even after exporting the list and searching it. Should it be there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dave-ExpSC
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @v-yilong-msft ,

This issue is resolved. To be fair, I did not try the service tags. I opened a support ticket and it was resolved in 2nd session after screen sharing. 

Here are the steps we took:

Updated documentation from Microsoft shows that Personal Gateway no longer support MySQL https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/mysql-database

Removed Personal Gateway
Install the Oracle MySQL Connector/NET
Install / Switch to use Standard mode of On-premises data gateway
We opened the report file in Power BI Desktop.
We cleared local connections and global permissions for the data sources.
We also cleared cache memory from files in options.
We tried to refresh the file in Power BI Desktop and published it to Power BI Service.
We then setup the gateway connection for MySQL and Web source.

Thank you Microsoft and Community.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dave-ExpSC
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @v-yilong-msft ,

This issue is resolved. To be fair, I did not try the service tags. I opened a support ticket and it was resolved in 2nd session after screen sharing. 

Here are the steps we took:

Updated documentation from Microsoft shows that Personal Gateway no longer support MySQL https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/mysql-database

Removed Personal Gateway
Install the Oracle MySQL Connector/NET
Install / Switch to use Standard mode of On-premises data gateway
We opened the report file in Power BI Desktop.
We cleared local connections and global permissions for the data sources.
We also cleared cache memory from files in options.
We tried to refresh the file in Power BI Desktop and published it to Power BI Service.
We then setup the gateway connection for MySQL and Web source.

Thank you Microsoft and Community.

v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dave-ExpSC ,

I think you first need to make sure that MySQL and Power BI Service are accessible to each other, and secondly sometimes credentials can be about corrupt or expired. I think you can do it right according to the following documentation: Use service tags with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyilongmsft_0-1715221423682.png

vyilongmsft_1-1715221474134.png

Since the status of the connection is shown as offline in "Manage Connections and Gateways" and the local data gateway (Personal Mode) is shown as online, there may be a mismatch or configuration issue. So I think you might want to consider deleting the connection in "Manage Connections and Gateways" and adding it again.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yilong-msft ,

Thank you for responding and helping out. I started with deleting the connection in "Manage Connections and Gateways" since it was less complicated. I tried to add it back in but I still get an error message and now can not add it back. 

• Unable to create connection for the following reason: Unable to connect to the data source. Either the data source is inaccessible, a connection timeout occurred, or the data source credentials are invalid. Please verify the data source configuration and contact a data source administrator to troubleshoot this issue.

I presumed I could not add it back in because I needed to do the Service Tags per your suggestion. I went to Azure and it says I have to have an account. Do I have to get an account that I will be paying for in 12 months? I see Microsoft Entra - can I perform the fix there? Please advise so I can take the next step. 

Curious to know why my Auto Refreshes have been working for 2 years but now I have to fix it by getting another account. Did requirements change? I SINCERELY appreciate your assistance!! 

Hi @Dave-ExpSC ,

Firstly as you can see from your error you need to make sure the data source is configured correctly and accessible.

Secondly using the Azure service now requires an Azure account and you can do what you need to do during its free trial.

As for auto-refresh, the requirements or configuration on the Azure side may have changed in a way that affects the settings.The Azure service is constantly updated and sometimes these updates may introduce changes that require adjustments to existing configurations. The credentials used by the auto-refresh feature may also have expired, or the service tag may need to be updated due to a change in the IP address used by the Azure service. To resolve auto-refresh issues, you may need to review the latest changes to Azure configuration requirements and update your settings accordingly.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors