Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ZacharyBelanger
Regular Visitor

SharePoint Group Permissions to Power BI Semantic Model

Hi, 

Currently, we have a Power BI semantic model with restricted access, dashboards were build using data from this model, dashboards were added to a SharePoint site.

With regards to permissions, what is the most efficient method of giving the users permissions to the model, the dashboards, and the SharePoint?

At this time, the user needs to be granted permission to all three, any ideas on how to streamline this process?

3 REPLIES 3
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You can use a Microsoft 365 Group for this. Usually the group needs access to the whole workspace, not a single model, so you create your M365 group which comes with a SharePoint site and a shared mailbox, and then share the workspace with the group from the share menu. Back in the day, Power BI workspaces used to come with M365 groups, but now you need to create them separately.

This is the whole value proposition of the M365 Groups - typically any group collaborating needs multiple things set up (task list, file storage, mailbox), and what these do is essentially give you all of those along with a security group to use for permission that is shared for them all. 

Hi Christine, I should have specified that I created a Communication SharePoint site. From what I read a M365 group is only created for a Teams SharePoint site.

I guess you can create an Azure Active Directory security group instead and share the various things with the security group then if you don't need the SP site-- if you don't have permission to create one, your IT should be willing to set one up for you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors