Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ldsmith919
Regular Visitor

Row-Level Security in App doesn't match Workspace

I have read all the Microsoft documentation on this topic, but cannot seem to find an answer to my question.

Situation: I am trying to limit the data visible in a published Power BI app based on a user's division, however the visible data is displaying correctly in the app when I had them test it.

Example: Let's take the following sample table:

DivisionSales
A$10
B$20

I have applied row-level security to the semantic model such that my test user is in division A and the testing in PBI desktop does in fact show $10 in sales as expected.

When I test in the PBI Service however, I get the below results.  I would have expected at least one of these scenarios to result in the correct sales value ($10), but that does not seem to be the case.

Workspace AccessReport Sales ValueApp AccessApp Sales Value
Viewer$10granted as workspace user$30
NoneN/Aadded individually$30

I know that the app is just a display for the reports in a workspace and the audiences just limit which reports can be seen.  I also know row-level security is applied at the semantic model level.  My question is how to make the the correct sales values show the app?  (What roles or access needs to be given in the workspace and/or app to ensure this displays correctly?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In retracing steps, I found my issue and will detail here in case anyone else has the same problem.  There were two reports in my workspace: the original and the one with row-level security applied.  I had the original visible in the app and the new RLS hidden, so naturally the RLS would not apply in the app.

Steps to check:

• Are you testing the correct report in both the workspace and app?
  • What access does user have in the workspace?
  • What access does user have in the app?
  • Is user included as member or in group of members assigned to role?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ldsmith919 

Can you confirm that you have put the user also into the role in the power bi service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, we have a security group which includes all members of the user's team (including the user) that was added as a member to the role.

In retracing steps, I found my issue and will detail here in case anyone else has the same problem.  There were two reports in my workspace: the original and the one with row-level security applied.  I had the original visible in the app and the new RLS hidden, so naturally the RLS would not apply in the app.

Steps to check:

• Are you testing the correct report in both the workspace and app?
  • What access does user have in the workspace?
  • What access does user have in the app?
  • Is user included as member or in group of members assigned to role?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors