Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

peterg0417
Helper II
Helper II

Report access to external users through secure Sharepoint site

I need clarity on this situation as I can't find anything that specifically addresses this question.

• We have a set of external partners that require access to a PBI report we created for them.
  • They will view the report through a secured SharePoint site.
  • The report is published in a Premium capacity workspace, with other reports meant for internal users only.

Question: If I go into "Manage Permissions" for that external report, click add link:

peterg0417_0-1715956670300.png

And then send that link to the external users; will they be able to view the report in the SharePoint site, and will NOT be able to access any other content in that workspace?

I'm assuming that the answer is yes. That they don't need access to the actual workspace, that the link will do, but I can't see this written out explicitly anywhere.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

If you need to grant access to a report to specific external users, I would recommend inviting them explicitly by adding them as viewers on the report by name, not using the sharing link. You want to be able to see the specific users who have access, especially with external sharing. Sharing a report will only grant access to the report, not to the workspace, as long as you aren't adding them as workspace viewers. 

Got it. So specifically add those users' emails. And this will also enable them to view the report on a SharePoint site as well, ya?

It should, if they also have permission on the SP site. I would just create a tester Microsoft account and invite it if you want to iron out all the complications and test access. Make sure to use a private browsing window when testing though. 

Thanks for the reply from @christinepayton , please allow me to provide another insight:
Hi,@peterg0417 

1.First of all, you can choose to share to "Special User Groups" in the Sharing Report, so that it can be shared to external users you have invited in b2b and satisfy the requirement that you don't want them to see the rest of the workspace, and since you are in Premium capacity, you don't have to worry about their license restrictions, here are Related Links:
Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vlinyulumsft_0-1716526422876.png

2.Secondly, you can choose to add a subscription for them, so that if you need to share reports on a recurring basis, they can also access the content between emails.

vlinyulumsft_1-1716526436364.png

Here's the relevant link:

Email subscriptions for reports and dashboards in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

3.Then, you can also choose to generate the report as a static file, for example, pdf or ppt, they can also view the report content, here is the relevant link:

Export reports to PDF - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vlinyulumsft_2-1716526449506.png

4.Finally, there is the way you want to use the sharepoint URL link, but the SharePoint Online embedded report does not automatically grant the user permission to view the report, and you need to set up the view permissions in Power BI. Here is a link to the relevant documentation:
Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vlinyulumsft_0-1716526516993.png

Best Regards,

Leroy Lu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors