Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

manuvizcarra39

Refresh Via API

Hello everyone, 

I have been having a recurring problem with a specific report I published. When I check the refresh history I see the type of refresh: Via API (image 1). 

Image 1Image 1Image 2Image 2

The funny thing is that these start times for do not coincide with the scheduled refresh I originally set up (image 2).

As a consequence, I am exceeding the number of request for 24 hours and my scheduled refresh gets turned off. 

I have tried to find similar problems online but haven't been sucessful. Does anyone know how to tackle this problem or what might be causing it?

My datasources are:
1. Sharepoint List

2. Power BI dataflow (connected to cloudera)

3. An API to get the last refresh time (I suspect this might be the issue. However, there are other reports that use this API but don't have any issue).

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@manuvizcarra39 

It appears that your report is being refreshed via the API unexpectedly, leading to issues with exceeding the maximum number of requests allowed per 24 hours. Here are a few steps you can take to tackle this problem:

1. **Review API Usage**: Start by reviewing the usage of the API in question. Check if there are any unexpected or excessive calls being made to the API that could be triggering the refresh. Look for any patterns or correlations between API usage and the unexpected refreshes.

2. **Check Report Dependencies**: Review the dependencies of your report, including any datasets, dataflows, or connections to external data sources. Ensure that all connections are configured correctly and that there are no unexpected triggers or actions causing the report to refresh via the API.

3. **Verify Scheduled Refresh Settings**: Double-check the scheduled refresh settings for your report in the Power BI Service. Ensure that the refresh schedule is configured correctly and that there are no conflicts or overlapping refreshes with other reports or datasets.

4. **Review Power BI Dataflows**: Since you mentioned using a Power BI dataflow connected to Cloudera, verify the refresh settings and dependencies of the dataflow. Ensure that the dataflow is refreshing correctly and that there are no issues with the data source connection.

5. **Investigate Sharepoint List Connection**: If your report is connected to a Sharepoint List, verify the connection settings and refresh schedule for the list data source. Ensure that the list is being refreshed at the appropriate times and that there are no issues with the data source connection.

6. **Monitor API Usage and Refresh History**: Continuously monitor API usage and refresh history to identify any patterns or anomalies. Use monitoring tools and logs to track API calls, refresh events, and any errors or warnings that may occur during the refresh process.

7. **Contact Support**: If you're unable to identify the root cause of the issue, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for assistance. They may be able to provide additional insights and help troubleshoot the problem further.

By following these steps and investigating the various components of your report and data sources, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue causing the unexpected refreshes via the API.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@manuvizcarra39 

It appears that your report is being refreshed via the API unexpectedly, leading to issues with exceeding the maximum number of requests allowed per 24 hours. Here are a few steps you can take to tackle this problem:

1. **Review API Usage**: Start by reviewing the usage of the API in question. Check if there are any unexpected or excessive calls being made to the API that could be triggering the refresh. Look for any patterns or correlations between API usage and the unexpected refreshes.

2. **Check Report Dependencies**: Review the dependencies of your report, including any datasets, dataflows, or connections to external data sources. Ensure that all connections are configured correctly and that there are no unexpected triggers or actions causing the report to refresh via the API.

3. **Verify Scheduled Refresh Settings**: Double-check the scheduled refresh settings for your report in the Power BI Service. Ensure that the refresh schedule is configured correctly and that there are no conflicts or overlapping refreshes with other reports or datasets.

4. **Review Power BI Dataflows**: Since you mentioned using a Power BI dataflow connected to Cloudera, verify the refresh settings and dependencies of the dataflow. Ensure that the dataflow is refreshing correctly and that there are no issues with the data source connection.

5. **Investigate Sharepoint List Connection**: If your report is connected to a Sharepoint List, verify the connection settings and refresh schedule for the list data source. Ensure that the list is being refreshed at the appropriate times and that there are no issues with the data source connection.

6. **Monitor API Usage and Refresh History**: Continuously monitor API usage and refresh history to identify any patterns or anomalies. Use monitoring tools and logs to track API calls, refresh events, and any errors or warnings that may occur during the refresh process.

7. **Contact Support**: If you're unable to identify the root cause of the issue, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for assistance. They may be able to provide additional insights and help troubleshoot the problem further.

By following these steps and investigating the various components of your report and data sources, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue causing the unexpected refreshes via the API.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Hi John, 

It seems like I had lost sight of a Power Automate flow that refreshed the dataset. I just turned it off. I'm guessing this should do the trick. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I really appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors