Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pradeep467
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Integration with GIT --Solution Advise

Hi Friends,

I am trying to implement GIT integration into Power Bi and below is a solution that i have come up with and plannign to implement, would like to cross check with others that have implemented this in their organisations.

1. My understanding is PBI integration is only suppoted with Git repo hosted on Azure devops and not GIT on GITHUB (please correct me if this wrong).

2.  I have 3 workspaces 1 each for Dev, QA and Prod.

Implementaion plan:

Create a main branch and 3 child branches
Prod Branch <--> Main Branch (For inital sync and after every release to prod, sync prod to main branch )
Main Branch --> Dev Branch (For inital code syncup)

Dev Branch --> QA Branch (For ongoing devlopement)

QA Branch --> Prod Branch (For final Deployment)

Dev Branch is tagged to Dev workspace

QA Branch is  tagged to QA workspace

Prod Branch is  tagged to Prod workspace

Any ongoing development happens in Dev workspae and once chnages are completed , the developer pushes the code to Dev workspace. Dev branch detects a chnage and syncs up to Dev repo.

I am not doing a pull request from Dev to QA as that merges the entier dev code into Qa and some reports need to stay in Dev. So using the individual commits by developer in Dev branch for individual reports. I do a Cherry-pick request to push the required dev code to QA branch and then sync up the QA branch to QA workspace, same process is followed from QA to Prod.

Please advise if I am missing anything in this flow or if there is a better way to handle this. I am also looking for options to atomate the deployment. I evaluated deployment pipelines as an option but more inclined towards deployment through GIT as I can check what are the individual objct changes.

3 REPLIES 3
KevinChant
Regular Visitor

Something you might want to consider is to look to implement the Continuous Integration tests as well.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/projects-build-pipelines?WT.mc_id=DP-M... 

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

We use work items on azure devops boards. Developer creates a branch for that specific work item. Once complete they create a pull request into a test branch. Less reliance on cherry picking that way.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks for the response Ben, so in your case if you have 4 developers, 4 separate workspaces need to be created for each developer? When pushing the work item, will that not replace the existing reports in workspace, beacuse before exploring the option of Cherry-picing I tried pulling a single wokitem but that deleted the rest of the reports in target.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors