Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bibinthomas
Frequent Visitor

Power BI App for External users

Hello Everyone,

I have created a power BI report and published as an app. Shared it with external users and gave them access, but a few users are getting the error "Upgrade to Power BI Pro". What could be the issue here? Only a few users are facing this issue.

Regards,

Bibin Thomas

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Like the error says. The user must have a pro license in order to view the report. When using pro license both builder and viewer must have the license to share the report.

You can read a full guide of external sharing here: https://data-marc.com/2023/03/23/successfully-collaborate-with-externals-in-power-bi/

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I went through the above document and found this, which says free license is enough if they only need to consume the report. "Depending on your use case, one or another license type suits your situation better. To keep things a bit simpler, we could say that if the workspace in which your content resides is backed by premium capacity and users only consume the reports / dashboards, a free license will be sufficient. If users also need to build content outside their personal workspace, a Pro or Premium per User license is required."

Yes, if you have your workspace at a Premium dedicated Capacity, then you can share with free users. However you haven't said something like that at the first message, that's why I have assumed you were using pro licenses. If you have pro instead of premium then the external needs pro.

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you @ibarrau 

But few users who were accessing the report before are facing this issue. Now they are getting this error "Update to Power Bi Pro"

Hi. Like I said before they must have pro if they want to be able to view the report. Maybe some of them have pro and others have activated the Pro Trial and that's how they can view. However it's mandatory to have pro. 

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors