Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TomasDo
Frequent Visitor

New migration tool AAS -> PBI - how to edit model?

Hello,

I used the new migrating tool within PBI to successfully migrate a model from AAS into PBI Premium Capacity. Because it has been deployed via xmla endpoint, it can not be downloaded as pbix file. It also has a large format. I have not enabled the redirection yet because I wanted to test it before put into production.

How do I edit and update the model now when it is in PBI? Shall I be able to import it to visual studio and manage it from there?

I thought I would connect to dataset and update it from Visual Studio as usual (like to AAS model).  But I get error message "importing from power bi endpoint is not supported" and "using the power bi endpoint for the workspace server is not supported". 

What happens after I enable redirect? The project with model opened in visual studio will continue working? Is the new migration tool that much "clever"? If so, it would be awesome but... is there any space for testing?

Facts:
- Connection via SSMS works perfectly with both urls:  powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/domainname/workspacename and powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/domainname/workspacename;initial catalog=modelname

- XMLA endpoint is set to read/write ON in admin portal.

- Workspace is part of premium capacity.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
genna_rwsc
Frequent Visitor

@TomasDo have you uncovered any alternative options from the Tabular Editor approach that Aniya suggested? We are in the same position and trying to learn more about how we continue to work with our migrated AAS models. 

Hello, yes I have been using Tabular Editor with success for some time now. It is much more convenient than Visual Studio (which seems to me as an overkill for such a task). 

But to be honest I have not tested Tabular editor on a model migrated by PBI migration tool so I am not sure about this case. Hope this helps.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @TomasDo 

As far as I know, if you want to try to connect the data model you have imported into the PBI to the third-party tool again for editing and changing, you can try this third-party tool recommended by the PBI Tabular Editor:

Tabular Editor is a third-party software tool that can create and edit MS Power BI datasets outside of the MS Power BI Desktop tool. It can connect to datasets and ingest their metadata to summarise form and function as well as highlight any potential problems.

According to my testing and research, it can be perfectly integrated with the data model that has been imported into the PBI, and it can be viewed and edited, and you can check these documents to determine if this tool is useful for you:

Why you NEED to learn about Tabular Editor! - Microsoft Power BI Community

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors