Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrate workspaces to a different region with fabric items removed

Hi,

I have a workspace in a regional capacity which had fabric items in the past. I'm trying to migrate that workspace to a capacity in different region. I have already deleted the fabric items from the source workspace. However, I still can't migrate my workspace to a different region. It gives me error as below. Any suggestion is appreciated.

amudhakumaran10_1-1707987907324.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Workspaces and the data they contain reside on capacities, and can be moved around by assigning them to different capacities. Such movement might be between capacities in different regions, or between different capacity types, such as Premium and shared.

In Microsoft Fabric, such movement currently has the following restrictions:

• Non Power BI Fabric items can't move from Premium to shared capacity.

• Non Power BI Fabric items can't move between regions.

This means the following:

• Moving a workspace from one capacity to another within the same region

If the workspace has non Power BI Fabric items, you can only move it from one Premium capacity to another Premium capacity. If you want to move the workspace from Premium to shared capacity, you won't be able to do so unless you delete all non-Power BI Fabric items first.

If the workspace has no non Power BI Fabric items (that is, it has only Power BI items) moving the workspace from Premium to shared is supported.

• Moving a workspace from one capacity to a capacity in a different region

You won't be able to move a workspace if it has non-Power BI Fabric items in it. If the workspace once had non-PowerBI Fabric items, but all items have since been deleted, you also won't be able to move the workspace to a capacity in a different region.

If the workspace has no non-Power BI Fabric items (that is, it has only Power BI items) moving the workspace to another capacity in a different region is supported.

Below is the official link will help you:

Manage workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Workspaces and the data they contain reside on capacities, and can be moved around by assigning them to different capacities. Such movement might be between capacities in different regions, or between different capacity types, such as Premium and shared.

In Microsoft Fabric, such movement currently has the following restrictions:

• Non Power BI Fabric items can't move from Premium to shared capacity.

• Non Power BI Fabric items can't move between regions.

This means the following:

• Moving a workspace from one capacity to another within the same region

If the workspace has non Power BI Fabric items, you can only move it from one Premium capacity to another Premium capacity. If you want to move the workspace from Premium to shared capacity, you won't be able to do so unless you delete all non-Power BI Fabric items first.

If the workspace has no non Power BI Fabric items (that is, it has only Power BI items) moving the workspace from Premium to shared is supported.

• Moving a workspace from one capacity to a capacity in a different region

You won't be able to move a workspace if it has non-Power BI Fabric items in it. If the workspace once had non-PowerBI Fabric items, but all items have since been deleted, you also won't be able to move the workspace to a capacity in a different region.

If the workspace has no non-Power BI Fabric items (that is, it has only Power BI items) moving the workspace to another capacity in a different region is supported.

Below is the official link will help you:

Manage workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Not sure your answer is accurate. If it were true then why would this error message exist when changing the capacity in workspace settings 

danjo914_2-1715290304888.png

Or the other route through the admin portal.

danjo914_1-1715290210806.png

I think you cannot actually migrate fabric workspaces across regions at this stage. Hopefully soon. If anyone knows a workaround other than manually recreating that would be extremely beneficial.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors