Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Master Models

Hi!

I don't have an actual "solve this for me" type of question.  More just looking for info.  We expect to have a number of different semantic models such as "sales", "finance", "inventory", etc. which recycle a number of the same facts and dims into different models.  Instead of trying to maintain individual semantic models for each, we're looking at developing a "master model" that will contain every fact and dimension and then deploy only those facts and dims that should be included in a given sub-model.

Done a little bit of Googling and the best I've found are these two items:

If anyone is aware of other resources that could provide some more insight into the what and how of Master Models, I would certainly appreciate the assistance.  Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Also known as "Golden dataset".  Mostly an exercise in futility, especially in larger organizations. cf "Expanded Tables"

View solution in original post

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

I agree here that quite often, while it seems like it is great to create a golden data set in reality, this often doesn't happen as expected due to the complexities and different business areas. I would recommend trying to do one area at a time, and once you've got a handle on all the different areas over time, then see if it is possible to build a golden data set.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

I agree here that quite often, while it seems like it is great to create a golden data set in reality, this often doesn't happen as expected due to the complexities and different business areas. I would recommend trying to do one area at a time, and once you've got a handle on all the different areas over time, then see if it is possible to build a golden data set.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I'd think this would be very difficult if pulling data from multiple source systems with different grain, keys, etc.  But all the data feeding into the master model would be sourced from the enterprise data warehouse.  I'd think that all the complexities with trying to get data to work well together would have been solved during ingestion into EDW (maybe?).

The master model (along with the subs) would almost be like "wrappers" so users could access the data from EDW with measures and relationships already defined for them, etc.  Theoretically, in practice it would be very similar to MDX cubes.

littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

@parry2k and @GilbertQ have either of you ever done any work with master models?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Also known as "Golden dataset".  Mostly an exercise in futility, especially in larger organizations. cf "Expanded Tables"

Hi @lbendlin I'd like to ask...why an exercise in futility?

Look at it from both sides

Microsoft is vastly underestimating the complexity of any large enterprise organization and the insane amount of silos.

Large Enterprises are unwilling or unable to enforce best practices around data stewardship and data warehouse design and to reduce the insane amount of silos.

But if data stewardship and sound EDW design were in place...?  Like the semantic models were almost the equivalent of an MDX cube pulling data from EDW it might work?

Ahahaha, good one...    Yes, that would be great.

I see what you did there!!!  😅

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @littlemojopuppy 

Developing a master model that encompasses all shared facts and dimensions, and then selectively deploying subsets of these into specific sub-models is a smart approach.

Here are some links for reference:

Universal and Timeless Database Design Patterns for 2024 and Beyond | Vertabelo Database Modeler

Tabular Optimization (elegantbi.com)

Design and build tabular models - Training | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-zhengdxu-msft thank you for the references!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors