Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mari_pet
Helper I
Helper I

How to update data model after incremental refreshed implemented

How do I add more data to my model for a report that is now uploaded to PBI Service and is using Incremental refresh.  This is  the only option I'm given when I try to download a copy. 

mari_pet_0-1688656909147.png

I normally download the report to make sure I am updating the most recent version.  Make changes then upload the changes.  I had a copy of the report before incremental refresh that I as trying to use to update the report, but it does not let me save.   I get an error message saying that there is already a report with that name.

mari_pet_2-1688657817287.png

I tried to turn off incremental refresh because I know that this disables the first download option, but I don't see the incremental refresh option when I open desktop and right click the table.

mari_pet_1-1688657382452.png

If there is already a thread that addresses this let me know.  I would like to avoid creating a a new report which will generate a new link that my end users don't have and will require several updates in other locations.

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mari_pet 

If you are using Power BI Premium per user or Premium you could use the XMLA end point to update your dataset.

If you cannot do that, you will have to upload your PBIX again and then refresh the dataset to re-load all the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I'll have to open ticket because none of these options are available to me.

Do you not have access to the .pbix file? Since you are the one who uploaded it initially? 

I do.  I am also getting an error when I try to overwrite the report, which is what I normally do.  I have opened ticket so I'll see what support says.  

What error are you getting? It just so happens i just published a incremental refresh dataset and i'm getting weird errors too (couldn't refresh your dataset, couldn't fetch an report url etc.) so it might be a wider issue. 

It doesn't give me an error code or anything.  I just get the screenshot shown above, that the report already exist.  I have never seen that message before ever.  I am usually just asked if I'm sure I want to overwrite it.

Oh i'm so sorry @mari_pet , i misunderstood completely.

Your issue is as follows. You are trying to publish the downloaded file, which only has the connection to the power BI dataset, under the same name as the dataset. Power BI doesn't allow that (rightly so), since it would overwrite the original dataset.

What you need to do is get access to the original dataset .pbix (where the incremental refresh is set up) and edit that file with whatever you need changed. Then you can publish it again.

Also, please note you can't download datasets anymore once you've set up incremental refresh or modified through the XLMA endpoint. This is a limitation due to the partitions made when setting up incremental refresh. See here for more info. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors