Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cfccai
Advocate II
Advocate II

Get Unexpected error when creating semantic model of a lakehouse table

hello

I would like to create a semantic model for my power BI report.

I was able to create the semantic model one week ago, but yeaster day I got the error(As below screenshot shown). I tried several different tables and lakehouses in different workspaces, didn't work.

I asked my colleague to perform the same operation in his own workspace, got the same error.

cfccai_0-1712024331545.png

Can any technicals help to check the issue. Thanks a lot.

52 REPLIES 52
RajeshNegi
Regular Visitor

When we are in LAKEHOUSE mode I am seeting the issue.

Once we change it to SQL analytical endpoint -> Reporting -> New semantic model.

I am able to create the Semantic model no need to changing the settings.

I don't believe this answers the question, as SQL Analytics Endpoint doesn't have the New Semantic Model option, the SQL Analytics Endpoint only has these options

New report
New Power BI dataset
Manage default Power BI dataset
Automatically update dataset
New measure

Look at this->>>

- Getting unexpected error :

RajeshNegi_0-1712288339021.png

- On top right dropdown -> from lakehouse to -> SQL Analytical End point 

RajeshNegi_2-1712288405407.png

Reporting menu -> new Semantic model 

RajeshNegi_3-1712288446234.png

- No expected errors.

Let me kjnow if this is not Semantic model....

Thanks for clarifying, my button in the SQL Analytics Endpoint > Reporting menu is labeled [New Power BI dataset], which is what led to my confusion.  I have just learned that Power BI dataset and Semantic model are interchangeable so possibly my version is different. All good

slara007

Screenshot 2024-04-04 204216.png

Hi Guys, any update on Semantic model creation. I cant enable

Allow users to apply sensitivity labels for content" because Purview sensitivity labels need to be created beforehand. Can anyone know how to go through this issue? Thanks alot

Dhanapal
Frequent Visitor

Yes, Changed the sensivitiy label option and no more error now and semantic model is poping up now.. all good..  but in the semantic model, its shows only (SQL analytics endpoint) table's objects.. like all the tables only.. but from the Lakehouse objects are not showing in the semantic model.  Note : Lakehouse objects are created as short-cut objects from other workspace. 

Dhanapal
Frequent Visitor

Nice this is working fine now, after changing the settings - Thank you. But I've created few short-cuts objects from workspaceA to WorkspaceB, but those short-cut objects are not showing in the semantic model.. Only Sql-end point table objects are showing in the Semantic model. Do we need to convert lakehouse objects as table into (sql-end point) to show in semantic model ? appreciate your help in advance. 

Hi, Did you change the sensitivity labels setting?

ramiromejia
Regular Visitor

Same issue here "Unexpected error dispatching create semantic model to portal". It is very frustrating. Does anyone found a solution?

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Have exactly the same issue here.

Is there an update on this as yet?  I dont want to enable sensitivity labels just yet as a workaround (assuming that works)

Thanks very much. Please let me know if any updates.

I just tried again to create a model from the Lakehouse and it now works.  I guess it just took 24 hours for the "Allow users to apply sensitivity labels" setting to take effect.

I also can confirm that enabling sensivite labes works, not even 24h but 5 minutes 😉 

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

We have had Sensitivity Labels enabled for almost a year and we have no joy in trying to create a new semantic model.

OmarDak1

Same issue

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

I am having the same issue.

I had to go into the SQL Analytics endpoint, choose to creat the model (top right) and then select the tables I wanted.

It then added the model and I could work with Power BI.

VERY confusing process, not intuitive, can do better MSFT!

I have the same issue not being able to create a new semantic model in the Lakehouse view with the error "Unexpected error dispatching create semantic model to portal action handler"

This started occuring at 7pm last night after many days and weeks of being able to create new semantic models.

I am on the Fabric Trial and so I can't find any Tenant options with sensitivity labels as mentioned in some of the suggestions

Are you the fabric adminstrator of your tenant? The fabric admin would have the full access of admin portal and can toggle the setting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors