Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

BBrak
Frequent Visitor

Failed to update data source credentials: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to [..]

hi all, I've published a Power BI report based on an OData query to Power BI Service but I'm getting an error trying to get OData source credentials validated. The full error is: 

"Failed to update data source credentials: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation."

The OData query parameters are as follows:
OData.Feed("url", null, [Implementation="2.0",Timeout=#duration(0, 0, 10, 0)])

The thing to note here is that the OData query in question only has about 700 records and 15 columns but takes quite a while to load, probably around 3-5 minutes. Another OData query that is much faster but otherwise has exactly the same connection configuration properties does not experience this problem and the credentials are updated in Power BI Service within seconds

Hence, my questions:

1) What exactly is "the timeout period" referenced in the error? It appears the duration of this timeout can't be altered by the user and is different from the timeout duration that can be entered as an additional parameter in the OData.Feed, correct?

2) What workaround options would be suggested here?

Thanks, Bastiaan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BBrak
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE: it turns out that ticking the 'Skip test connection' option prevents the time-out error to occur. The credentials can still be saved and were then accepted during a Refresh.

BBrak_0-1713788525780.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BBrak
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE: it turns out that ticking the 'Skip test connection' option prevents the time-out error to occur. The credentials can still be saved and were then accepted during a Refresh.

BBrak_0-1713788525780.png

Hi @BBrak 

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure there are others in the forum who are confused about this issue.

It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem as yours.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors