Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

raiM

Failed to resolve data sources error on Template App

Hi,

I am struggling to share a Template app to my collegues. The desire is that when they install the app, they can match an excel file to the report, as anyone will have their own version of the excel sheet (with their own custom data)
The app should help them to analysis their model, but not seening the data from others.

My appoach to do this was:
1. Create the report in Power BI Desktop (with a required Parameter callled "Model location" and with Permission set to "Organisational")
2. Publish this on a workbook 
3. Creating the app with the parameter required.

When I or my collegue install the app, they get  the message "You are viewing this app with sample data. Conncect your data" - which it is what we want

raiM_0-1715172845223.png

Then I try to connect the very same dataset that i am using as sample, an I know the semantic model is not broken as in the report works. The file sits on the organisational Sharepoint folder, however i get the Failed to resolve data source.

raiM_1-1715173095869.png

raiM_2-1715173121509.png

Please can someone help?

Thanks

Ray

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raiM ,

I think you should first make sure that the parameter "Model Location" in the Power BI report is properly configured to accept dynamic input from users when they install the application. This parameter should be set to allow users to specify the path to the Excel file on their SharePoint.

Next you need to check SharePoint permissions to make sure that all users who need to connect to their data have the necessary permissions to access the SharePoint folder where the Excel files are stored. Users should at least have read permissions to their respective files.

You should make sure that the path provided exactly matches the location of its Excel file on SharePoint, and finally I think you need to check this document: Get data from Excel workbook files - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Update:
I have installed the on-premises data gateway and it seems a step in the right direction. Now when i try to connect the new data source to the app I get a different error message:

Couldn't load the data for this visual

This operation is not allowed, as the database 'd1c1ae2a-f1a1-4f40-bef6-136f9c7e12dd' is in a blocked state. Please refer to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2159112 for more information.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

-----------------
Hi @v-yilong-msft , thanks so much for your reply.

I will try to respond in order to your suggestion, so maybe we can find where I am making a mistake.

@v-yilong-msft wrote:

I think you should first make sure that the parameter "Model Location" in the Power BI report is properly configured to accept dynamic input from users when they install the application. This parameter should be set to allow users to specify the path to the Excel file on their SharePoint.

I have set the parameter edit permissions to "Organizational" - I have also tried public or none but no change. If I am missing something here, please let me know.

raiM_0-1715243541959.png

raiM_2-1715243708843.png

@v-yilong-msft wrote:

Next you need to check SharePoint permissions to make sure that all users who need to connect to their data have the necessary permissions to access the SharePoint folder where the Excel files are stored. Users should at least have read permissions to their respective files.

Yes, I set the excel file share permissions to my organisation as edit. Also I am testing this from my account, exactly to exclude this option, the same account local and on the power bi service. So the account should have access to the document, as it is the same account.

@v-yilong-msft wrote:

You should make sure that the path provided exactly matches the location of its Excel file on SharePoint, and finally I think you need to check this document: Get data from Excel workbook files - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Finally yes the path is correct and the document is the same that is running on the Power BI desktop, so the query is also correct (no column heading issue or similar)

This is why I am surprised, I am using the same document from the same account in the same location, and it is not working.

Either there is something I am missing or there is a permission issue that I am not aware of?

If you can help, it would be really appreciated.

Ray

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors