Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Effrette
Frequent Visitor

Enhanced Refresh with PPU

Hello,

I have a Power BI dataset set up with Incremental Refresh.

In some cases, the user would like to trigger a full refresh for all partitions (with a single click, without using SSMS).

In the Enhanced Refresh documentation, I see this requires a Premium capacity. Is Premium-per-User considered Premium capacity for this purpose?

If not, are there any other suggestions to create an automation of a refresh that refreshes al the partitions?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @Effrette 

1) Yes, Premium per User (PPU) is considered a Premium capacity for the purpose of Enhanced Refresh in Power BI

2) You can modify the partition definitions temporarily to change the scope of data that is refreshed, and then revert the partitions back to their original definitions after the refresh. Something along the following lines:

1. Backup Your Work:

• Before making any changes, ensure you have backups of your work, including the Power BI file and any server configurations.
  2. Access the Model:

• Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), Tabular Editor, or a similar tool that allows you to manage Analysis Services models.
  3. Modify Partitions:

• Navigate to the partitions for the table(s) in question within your model.
    • Temporarily modify the partition definitions to include all data in the refresh scope and exclude archived data.
  4. Trigger a Full Refresh:

• Trigger a full refresh of the data model, either manually or via automation as per your setup.
  5. Revert Partitions:

• After the refresh completes, revert the partition definitions back to their original state to include the archived data.
  6. Republish the Model:

• Publish the updated model back to Power BI or your Analysis Services server.
  7. Verify the Data:

• Verify that the data in Power BI reflects the updated data and that all partitions are functioning as expected.

Pedro Reis - Data Platform MVP / MCT
Making Power BI and Fabric Simple

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors