Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

sree_amiri
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic RLS- Do we need to setup users on service under security of dataset?

Hello  ,

I have scenario that created dynamic RLS and it is working in desktop then move to PBI service and published the report to App. Now i have a user who is part of dynamic RLS coming from database table but unable to view report content but the same user can see data after adding that user id into role under security of power bi dataset in power bi service. do we need to setup users though we have set it up in DB table? I do have 100's of users and looking for better solution.

Thanks,

Sreenivas Amirineni

6 REPLIES 6
sree_amiri
Frequent Visitor

This is not premium workspace and i am using pro license for workspace. But i am not seeing the way to impliment Dynamic RLS other than adding users (i did add AD group to Role created in dataset in power BI service).

However, that is how it is working for me. 

sree_amiri
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin 

the question was not about to add them to workspace or workspace app. Its more about adding users to role under dataset ->secuirity. do we need to add users into role after published the dataset into power BI service.

Can we avoid this step since users are supplied from database table and we use userprincipalname() function to determine.

Its more about adding users to role under dataset ->secuirity. do we need to add users into role after published the dataset into power BI service.

No, never. Especially not with dynamic RLS.  But it's generally a VBI.  

However the solution that i did enable works only after adding them into role under dataset located in power bi service. otherwise they wont work. i am using PRO license and publish the workspace app for users.

You should exclusively share the app through the audiences.  Do not share anything from the workspace to any user who is not a developer or UAT tester.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If this is a premium capacity workspace you need to add the user to one of the app audiences and update the app.

Don't add them to the workspace unless they are a UAT participant or the workspace is non-premuim.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors