Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LessentheDamage

Couldn't load the data for this visual - for some users, but not others

Starting a few weeks ago, a report that many users within our organization have been using without issue suddenly does not load some (but not all) of the visuals, only for new viewers of it, and throws up an error:

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual.  Please try again later.

Activity ID: a5361b08-a4c5-4f96-9df8-0a9c70c6ea0a
Request ID: f41d940f-fd6d-4e21-aa54-ab0833e09950
Correlation ID: cb82a980-9bd9-2cf8-8472-1bc4ea4ab432
Time: Fri Apr 28 2023 14:03:40 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Service version: 13.0.20534.70
Client version: 2304.3.13501-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-gov-iowa-redirect.analysis.usgovcloudapi.net/

People who have been using the report often since it was first published continue to use it with no errors, but anyone who accesses it for the first time since the issue started sees many visuals throwing up the errors.  We have a premium workspace with the dataset and report, along with a few other reports.  The datasets and report itself are shared with Read permissions to the whole organization.

The report has a Mixed storage mode and references two datasets.  The visuals that error have contained data coming from both datasets, so it's not caused by an issue with a single dataset, and that same dataset will show them visuals with some fields and not others - implying they can view data from both.  As in, an affected user could see slicers and matrixes that contain data from Dataset A without issues, but not another visual containing data from Dataset A.  No RLS/OLS is implemented.  The entire report has been essentially replicated from scratch to test, yet the same visuals that errored before continue to error.  I assumed it may have been bad references in the visuals, but creating a new report and throwing visuals with those same fields on it causes the same errors to occur.

No individuals have been added to Viewer roles in the Workspace, though while testing, I added an affected individual as a Viewer and it resolved the issue.  However, we don't want everyone in the organization being able to read every report in the Workspace, so this isn't an ideal solution (and doesn't explain why others who do not have the Viewer role continue to view just fine).  It does not make sense to me that the solution is to make everyone a Viewer in the Workspace when a large number of consumers of the report that are not set as Viewers currently have no issues.

Any ideas to try?  If I can't get it resolved, my fallback is to look into separating the more sensitive reports to a different Workspace and grant Viewer role to everyone in the current one, but that will require getting another premium workspace which I'd like to avoid.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This could be a meta data mismatch between workspace and app. Ask a user that has been using the report without issue if they could open the same report in Incognito mode. If that causes the error then you will need to consider republishing the app (and fixing the issues that cause this to now fail for everybody).

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors