Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kletzy
Advocate III
Advocate III

Can't export Semanatic model to Power BI Desktop format

I'm trying to download a semantic model (which i do regularly0 and suddenly today am receiving the message:
"Can't export to Power BI Desktop format
We couldn't export to .pbix format"

Kletzy_0-1706783772372.png

Anyone else having this issue - I assume its related to a new deployment of code in the service? The export is done as below

Kletzy_1-1706783845418.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kletzy ,
@lbendlin Very good thinking, here are the details I need to add.
Based on your description and the error screenshot, I searched for documentation on the problem. Based on what I've learned and searched for, with the following is what you might be causing you to not be able to download it:
1.Downloading a .pbix file after deployment isn't supported as part of the deployment pipeline, so you need to confirm if this semantic model has been recently used as part of a pipeline.
Semantic models modified by using the XMLA endpoint can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
3.If the size of the pbix file is larger than 1GB, it also cannot be dowloaded.

4.Semantic models with automatic aggregations enabled can't be downloaded to a .pbix file. You must disable automatic aggregations training in the semantic model settings and delete the aggregations tables by selecting the checkbox Delete automatic aggregations tables.
Detail steps:

1.In semantic model Settings, expand Scheduled refresh and performance optimization.
2.Switch Automatic aggregations training to Off
Choose the box to deleate

vheqmsft_0-1706867209490.png

vheqmsft_2-1706867368761.png

For more details about the limitations of download pbix from sematic model  in power bi service, you can refer to these documents
Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There are a number of scenarios that will prevent the download of the PBIX.  Have you changed to Large Storage Format recently?

Thank you for your reply. No changes at all have been made. It seems somehow the .pbix became corrupted while being published (never had that before). A republish eventually resolved the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors