Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

khregs
Advocate II
Advocate II

Autoscale not autoscaling

Hi,

Since Sunday, my premium capacity has been hitting 100% regularly, but autoscaling is not kicking in as it should.

Notifications in the PBI Service say that the capacity "...has reached its autoscale max and exceeded its available capacity...".

However, the Admin portal > Capcity settings page indicates "0 additional capacity units in use"...

What gives? Anyone else seeing similar?

Thanks,
Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @khregs , @wzbeaver  , @Scrummy_Bear ,

This is an optimization done to the algorithm and that with it intend to help users to take better advantage of the New throttling carry forward features.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @khregs , @wzbeaver  , @Scrummy_Bear ,

This is an optimization done to the algorithm and that with it intend to help users to take better advantage of the New throttling carry forward features.

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @khregs , @wzbeaver , @Scrummy_Bear ,

This issue has been filed internally, so please be patient and wait for a fix. I will update here if there is any news.

wzbeaver
Regular Visitor

Hey All,

We have been experiencing the same issue as of the same point in time as the original poster.

We have had auto-scaling enabled in our primary Power BI tenant and capacity for months, and even received auto-scaling event as of Friday 4/26/2024, but this week we have seen several instances on our capacity reporting where we exceeded 100% base capacity, received a notification about it suggesting that we turn on auto-scaling, which we already have enabled. I disabled and re-enabled our autoscale configuration yesterday (5/1/2024) and are continuing to receive the same notifications.

In our capacity reporting we also see no evidence of Carry Forward accrual or burndown.

Scrummy_Bear

Hi @khregs ! We're experiencing the same issue with our premium capacity—the auto-scale feature isn't working.

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @khregs ,

Regarding your question, I searched the forum posts and for the time being, I didn't find anyone with your type of situation.Is this your first time setting up autoscaling? See the following article to see if you've set it up correctly.

Using Autoscale with Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I've searched for an issue that may be causing the failure to trigger autoscaling, you can check to see if it matches your situation.

Known issue - Autoscale not triggered by carry forward accumulated usage - Microsoft Fabric | Micros...

If the problem is recent, if you have a Pro license,you can open a Pro ticket at

Power Platform admin center (microsoft.com)

Hi there...

Thanks for the tips and links! I was not previously aware of this "carry forward" business. Will read up on it. Will also log a support ticket to see what they say. 

We have had autoscaling active on our capacity for about a year now, and it has worked fine up to now -- i.e. usage hits 100%, another vcore gets added for 24 hours.

Thanks,
Craig

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors