Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Haydos89
Regular Visitor

Non-dashboard Resource Usage

Context

Our administrator has created a dashboard that shows a count of how many times users have viewed Power BI dashboards in the last 60 days. The dashboard can be filtered by folder path, and includes additional information like "Latest TimeStart". It is very useful!

Problem

Only Power BI dashboards are in-scope to be counted. It does not count non-dashboard resources (such as Excel workbooks and Word files) that are also saved on the Report Server.

Question

Can a dashboard be created that identifies how often non-dashboard resources are viewed/downloaded from the Report Server?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Haydos89
Regular Visitor

Is there a way to report when users "Download" a report, so that we can capture when users are interacting with "DOCX" or "XLSX" files?

Haydos89_0-1709085542578.png

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I suppose, this report is based on ExecutionLog3 view, there is detailed log about both, paginated reports and PBI reports (dashboards), for interactive view, or background refresheses or schedules.

But Excel od Word, is minimum loged, becasuse in fact, Excel and Word is not rendered on Power BI Reports server, but thru iframe on another Office Web Apps server. But maybe minimum, try look on ReportActions like GetExcelWorkbookInfo or RenderExcelWorkbook.

I've just recieved feedback from the System Administrator team that the Report Action column does not capture actions for non-PBI documents such as ".xlsx" or ".docx". It only captures actions "Render" and "Unknown".

Thanks again for the suggestion @josef78, but it looks like we are going back to the drawing board.

Thanks for your suggestion @josef78! I'll raise this with our System Administrator and see if ReportActions can support our requirements. If it does, I'll accept this as the Solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.