Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Matthiaskirsch

Text files

Dear all,

being an absolute greehorn, I would appreciate getting instruction how to use Powerquery and the associateeditor for the following problem:

I have a folder with .txt- files, each consisting of a single column of data without header. These should be combined into a single excel worksheet with names of files as column headers, each column containing data from a single file?
So far I have only managed to combine the files yielding a single colum of data: the first column contain the name of the txt-file repeated as often as there are data rows in the file.
However, I want the content of the single data column of each file in separate colums in the resulting worksheet (only one worksheet with as many columns as there are txt-files.
Ideally this worksheet should get updated each time I add a new txt-file to the source folder.

Hope I made the problem clear enough for anybody out there to provide a working solution.
Thanks in advance and best,
Matthias

Von Samsung-Tablet gesendet
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

let
  Quelle = Folder.Files("C:\Users\kirsch\Desktop\text"),
  custom1 = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Quelle[Content], each Lines.FromBinary(_)),Quelle[Name])
in
  custom1

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

let

source=Folder.Files(YourPath),

custom1=Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(source[Content],each "your code to import text files"),source[Name])

in

custom1

So I just learned, that it is you, whom I have to thank for the working code. THANKX,

Matthias

Just made a mistake and replied to myself, which of course is stupid.

Hi Daniel,

thanks!

However, this does not seem to be the whole code.

I cannot figure out what you mean with: "your code to import text files"

As I said, I am completely new to PQ and really would appreciate a complete working solution. I may learn along the way, but for now, I have no clue (and little time)  apart from what I learn from tutorial videos and I have not found one, which matches my problem.

I am using Excel2016 by the way.

Best,

Matthias

So I just learned, that it is you, whom I have to thank for the working code. THANKX,

Matthias

Hello, @Matthiaskirsch . Try to replace "your code to import text files" with Lines.FromBinary(_) in the code provided by @wdx223_Daniel 

Hi AlienSx,

I guess I am just to dump. So this is what I see in the PQ-Editor:

let
custom1=Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Quelle[Content],each "Lines.FromBinary(_) "),Quelle[Name])
in
custom1

Then I get the following error:

Expression.Error: Der Wert ""Lines.FromBinary(_) "" kann nicht in den Typ "List" konvertiert werden.
Details:
Value=Lines.FromBinary(_)
Type=Type

???

Best,

Matthias

let
  custom1 = Table.FromColumns(List.Transform(Quelle[Content], each Lines.FromBinary(_)),Quelle[Name])
in
  custom1

Dear AlienSx,

you are a genius. So simple and it works like a charm.

Thank you so much, this will help me a lot and my generate some more questions in the future, now that I have seen that I get useful answers this quick.

Best,

Matthias

it's @wdx223_Daniel who provided a solution to be honest. But thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors