Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StudentAlways

Power Pivot Dim table not reflecting the values of Fact table linked in data model

Hi Experts,

I have for example, one fact table for the moment, I created unique elements in each separate tables and added to Data model.

Eg. Jira issue is linked to status etc so I created, Status as dimension table with unique values along with other columns I needed for filter.
When I created Pivot table and try to pull the Issue into rows and status dim, I was expecting Issue from fact table & Status from fact table should be same as Issue in the row column mapped to status from Status Dimension table. Attached is the sheet, i was working.
Here is the link  File Uploaded here 
Refer to the Sheet5 the first tab. I have one to many relationship from Dimension Status to Status in fact table. Please can you Kindly help me with details on what mistakes I am doing and why this issue is coming so I have 6 other dimension table that I need to use in the slicers.

Regards and Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It is important to use STAR schema. Dimesion tables are important because you don't need to store repeteated rows. Check this and this article via sqlbi.

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @StudentAlways, you have 2 options:

1. use Status column from FactTab
    dufoq3_1-1710012657907.png

2. Add some column to Values (because without this your pivot table is not filtered by dimension)dufoq3_2-1710012811562.png

Hi @dufoq3 Thank you but that is my question as I put it.

What is the point of making dimension table, if I cannot get the data needed and slicers I need.  From your response, you seem to suggest I must be using the values from the fact table. The advantage of dimension Table, I thought is if you have multiple fact tables, I thought the dimension tables are used for slicers and it would be easy. Please give me some examples on the data mapping, links and books I must use as this is bit confusing. Thanks a lot.

It is important to use STAR schema. Dimesion tables are important because you don't need to store repeteated rows. Check this and this article via sqlbi.

StudentAlways

Thank you @Payeras_BI  I am sorry, I have now updated with the right file for the consideration. In the power Pivot generated from Data model, I pulled Issue key and status from Dimension into rows, I was expecting the result is same as getting the information as I use fact table to get both issue key and status. But I think my understanding and logic is wrong. 

Payeras_BI
Super User
Super User

Hi @StudentAlways ,

please review the uploaded file as it appears to be incomplete based on the issue description.

If this post answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other users find useful content.
Kudos are another nice way to acknowledge those who tried to help you.

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors