Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rhothgar
Helper III
Helper III

Merged three columns but cannot work out how to remove delimiter - think it needs custom M code

I gave up trying to use nested tables. Way too complex for a newbie so ditched trying to use XML format.

Made fantastic progress today but am now properly stuck.

I've merged three columns using ; as a delimiter but the null cells cause the delimiter to be used where it is not required.

Tried many ways to remove them to no avail.

Before Merge!
Merged Columns.JPG
After Merge!
Columns After Merge.JPG

I only want to remove ; ; after singular column Arts & Crafts, Technology & Gadgets, Health & Beauty and so on (NB they are a legacy of the three columns being merged into one) and the singular semi-colon after Technology & Gadgets on Row 11 (this is a legacy of three columns being merged into one).

I noticed the lack of null figures in the 2nd Column pre-merge.  Perhaps this is a clue but I wouldn't have a clue how to decipher it.

Syntax required is:-

Row 1 Arts & Crafts
Row 5 Home & Living, Technology & Gadgets, Toys & Entertainment
Row 6 Technology & Gadgets
Row 8 Health & Beauty
Row 11 Home; Technology & Gadgets

Here is my example source code:-

= Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwqKVaIKTUwMDJTcC5KTCsptlawVorVobaMR35uKkzGJ7MsMy/dWiEkNTkjLz8nP70SJuOemJKeCtIUkl8JN8g1ryS1qCQxMy83Na8EbBhOjUTIeqQm5pRkwGScUhNLSyoJuJ2AgUCf4fGLUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Categories = _t])

Here is my code for the last two steps:-

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Replaced Value3",{"Categories.1.1", "Categories.3"}),
    #"Merged Columns1" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Removed Columns",{"Categories.1.2", "Categories.2.1", "Categories.2.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("; ", QuoteStyle.None),"Categories")

Thanks in advance.  I feel I've come a long way in 3 - 4 days but still stacks to learn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Columns1",{{"Categories", each Text.TrimEnd(_, ";"), type text}})

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
spinfuzer
Super User
Super User

Merge with ";" only instead of "; "

Text.TrimEnd([Column], ";")

After that replace ";" with "; " if you wanted the extra space after the semicolon.

Thanks.

Looks good but where do I put it please?

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Columns1",{{"Categories", Text.TrimEnd([Column], ";"), type text}})

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Columns1",{{"Categories", each Text.TrimEnd(_, ";"), type text}})

OK. Back to where I was and looking good apart from I cannot find where I entered "; " originally so I still have ";" at the end of Arts & Crafts lines only

EDIT!

Found it!  It was way, way back in the steps.

I need to learn how to clean the code. I have far too many steps.

Many thanks for helping me with this, this evening.

I am very tired so need to go to bed else I will make more mistakes then wake up fresh.

Thanks again.

Sadly, I think I've messed it all up as I tried several things instead of waiting for a reply.

I need to try and work out where I was...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors