Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

srt1111
Regular Visitor

Merge 2 tables: Error DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number. Details: NA

Dear members,

Please advice. I have 2 tables in Pbi desktop. I need to compare this 2 tables by its 'Key', which in msExcel i used 'Match'. I need to report out which rows are not matched.

In Power query, i wanted to do the same with using merge queries. However, when i merge the 'key' column from these 2 tables, i encounter error:

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number.
Details:
NA

Both columns i have tried changing to 'text' or to ' whole number'. Both will return same error. How to deal with this error?

error Merge.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Hi, my best guess is that there is some value, that is messing up the transformation.
Both columns should be possible to transform to text. I cannot imagine a scenario, when not. As for transforming it to a number, there could be some non-numerical symbol, that doesn't allow the transformation (and in the case of text it won't fit the merge. 

Right now it is difficult to say. Send some sample data, if the transformation to text doesnt work..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Hi, my best guess is that there is some value, that is messing up the transformation.
Both columns should be possible to transform to text. I cannot imagine a scenario, when not. As for transforming it to a number, there could be some non-numerical symbol, that doesn't allow the transformation (and in the case of text it won't fit the merge. 

Right now it is difficult to say. Send some sample data, if the transformation to text doesnt work..

You were right. The original data has at the end of the rows, some note showing information of the downloaded data. It wasnt part of the data, just a note of the file. Remove it and all goes well. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors