Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JoeMac
Regular Visitor

Material View for Summary Table

My ultimate goal is to create a profit and loss statement for my company from our many datasources.  The problem that I am running into is that the Profit and Loss visual takes a long time to load and if you try to interact with the visual such as expand a row that takes a long time to load as well.

The Pnl is pulling from multiple data models (Orders, Revenue, Direct Materials, Expenses, Headcount) with direct query.  Each of these data models has couple hundred thousand of rows so not too large. The underlying models also have multiple datasources that get merged into a single fact table.  Each of these models contain individual dax queries. 

The models are then combined with direct query.  The individual dax queries from each model get merged into one large Dax Query with with around 100 lines that is used to create the Profit and loss statement.  It includes inScope Function and Switch Functions.

I tried to solve the problem by creating summary tables for each data model so that the summary table only contains ~100 rows. I used the summarize function with dax.  But I have also heard that dax queries on the summary tables are still pulling data from the original datasource so that will not speed up the process.  

I am hoping to use this summary table method, but give it a small tweak.  Is there a way to make the summary table a material view?  Or so the summary table becomes the "data source" the queries fetch from?  

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JoeMac 

To my knowledge, if you create a calculated table as a summary table with DAX and use data from this calculate table to populate visuals, the DAX queries from these visuals will be sent to the calculated table instead of the data sources, which should make interaction faster. However, a calculated table is in Import mode not DirectQuery, so it will not always be updated automatically to have real-time data from the data sources. You need to execute refresh manually or set up a scheduled refresh in Power BI Service to update the data in the summary calculated table. 

Best Regards,
Jing

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Sort of  - All the secrets of SUMMARIZE - SQLBI

The recommendation is to use SUMMARIZECOLUMNS if possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors