Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CharleyKirton
Frequent Visitor

GUID and Date primary key column size issue

Hello,

I have a bit of an issue I'm trying to solve...

I have data which is for all users of a platform, at daily granularity.  The users have a GUID as their ID, which even on it's own is large.  Then when combining with the date to make a primary key (which I need as the user attributes can change on any day) this ends up making an absolutely massive column, which then has to sit on every related table!  Ouch!

My initial thought was to index all users and replace the GUID on other tables with their index, and add the date as a decimal of the index.  This obviously keeps the cardinality high but reduces the dictionary size.

Is this a good plan, or am I missing a brilliant idea?  How have others handled such an issue?

Thanks!

Charley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not exactly. Both the Date and Person tables would relate directly to the fact table. But you could also replace your GUID string with an integer index in both tables for the relationship.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Why  not just have user and date dimension tables and keep those columns separate in your fact table(s) with relationships to those dimensions?

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Do you mean like,

CharleyKirton_0-1683879779461.png

It doesn't help with that massive GUID column... we have several fact tables (they don't just eat apples, lol!)  so with that column on every table it ends up being huge. 

There are also other attributes on the Person ID table we would need to filter by - e.g. person 6A7811FD-AF14-4A90-8026-A3FD92E69726  doesn't always like apples  🤔

Not exactly. Both the Date and Person tables would relate directly to the fact table. But you could also replace your GUID string with an integer index in both tables for the relationship.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors