Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mary78
Helper I
Helper I

Expect 0 get -0.000000000000043

Hi All.

I´m geting extrem values sometimes on a Margin% measure, exampel: 750951781615971100.00%
Measure: 

Margin =
DIVIDE (
( SUM ( 'sales'[Net sales] ) - SUM ( 'sales'[Cost] ) ),
SUM ( 'sales'[Net sales] ),
)

When trubleshooting I´ve found that  'sales'[Net sales] sometime instead of being 0 is very smal ex, -0.000000000000043.
In data source (SQL database) [Net sales] is deffined as : Decimal(20,6) and value for the Example are 00.000000 

So when pulling in the data Power BI is sometimes turning 0.000000 into -0.000000000000043 or similar.

Does any one know what´s going wrong and how to fix it?

BR Måns

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mary78 ,

The problem is usually to do with how computers handle floating point numbers within a binary context. Tom Scott explains it beautifully here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0 

The solution is to round off your numbers in the transformation process. For example, in Power Query, your would apply a transformation similar to this on all of your decimal columns:

Number.Round([DecimalColumn], 2)

This should force the tiny translation roundings to be truncated.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mary78 ,

The problem is usually to do with how computers handle floating point numbers within a binary context. Tom Scott explains it beautifully here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0 

The solution is to round off your numbers in the transformation process. For example, in Power Query, your would apply a transformation similar to this on all of your decimal columns:

Number.Round([DecimalColumn], 2)

This should force the tiny translation roundings to be truncated.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for answer, rounding solves issue with extrem results from measure. 👍
But is it really possible that a 0.000000 can turn in to  -0.000000000000043 due to floting point issue?

Most zeros in data is not turnd into super low values. Could it not be that the underlying data in this case isn´t acctualy 0.000000 but infact -0.000000000000043 rounded to 0.000000?

Of course if we find -0.000000000000043 in underlying data this could be due to floting point but I´m just oparating in PBI 

It looks like, in your example, you're deducting sales[Cost] from sales[Net Sales] to get your Margin value. My guess would be that your [Net Sales] value is actually dead zero, but one/some/all of your [Cost] values have this floating point issue, hence why you get a negative tiny number.

It's possibly due to a calculation at source that produces the [Cost] values. For example, it may actually be calculated at source as [Total Cost] / [Unit Quantity] or similar, thus inviting a floating point issue.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors