Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sara11
Helper I
Helper I

Conditional calculation of new column in Power Query

I searched the forum and couldn't find a solution.

Well, here's what I want to do:

In the power query editor I want to add a new column that does the following for me:

SampleParameterResultUnity
AWater 750aa
ASugar 0,12%
AChemical X  727,3mg
AChemical Z  0,22g
BWater4,93mg
BSugar5,28%
BChemical X5,05mg
BChemical Z300g

If "Unity" of Water (Parameter column) = "aa", then:
(Water x Sugar)/10
in this example: (750 x 0.12)/10
If "Unity" of Water (Parameter column) = "mg", then:
do nothing

However, I have to make sure that the "Sample" is the same for Water and Sugar in order to carry out the multiplication.

I'm not being able to carry out this operation.
Thank you in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
m_dekorte
Super User
Super User

Hi @sara11,

There are multiple ways to achieve this, here are two.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQpPLEktUgAyzE0NgGRiolKsDkQmuDQ9ESxjoGNoBKRU4TLOGam5mcmJOQoRCmCdRuY6xkA6Nx1TRZQCxAQjkAkQeSeYrUDaRMcSSacTzFYgbapjZAG31AnFUrCsgSmqPoSNQI6xgQHEulgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Sample = _t, Parameter = _t, Result = _t, Unity = _t]),
    ChType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Result", type number}}, "nl-NL"),
    AddedCustom = Table.AddColumn(ChType, "Custom", each [
        t = Table.FindText( ChType, [Sample] ),
        a = if [Parameter] = "Water " and [Unity] = "aa" 
            then List.Product( Table.SelectRows(t, each [Parameter] ="Water " or [Parameter]="Sugar ")[Result]) /10 
            else null 
        ][a]
    )
in
    AddedCustom

or a Group By

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUQpPLEktUgAyzE0NgGRiolKsDkQmuDQ9ESxjoGNoBKRU4TLOGam5mcmJOQoRCmCdRuY6xkA6Nx1TRZQCxAQjkAkQeSeYrUDaRMcSSacTzFYgbapjZAG31AnFUrCsgSmqPoSNQI6xgQHEulgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Sample = _t, Parameter = _t, Result = _t, Unity = _t]),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(ChType, {"Sample"}, 
        {
            {"t", each  Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (x)=> if x[Parameter] = "Water " and x[Unity] = "aa" 
                then List.Product( Table.SelectRows(_, (x)=> x[Parameter] ="Water " or x[Parameter]="Sugar ")[Result]) /10 
                else null )
            }
        }
    ),
    Combine = Table.Combine( GroupedRows[t] )
in
    Combine

with this result

m_dekorte_0-1712233416755.png

I hope this is helpful

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @sara11, different approach here. If you don't know how to use my query chceck link at the bottom of this post.

Result

dufoq3_0-1712238289387.png

let
    ChangedTypeAndTrim = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"Parameter", Text.Trim, type text}, {"Result", each Number.From(_, "sk-SK"), type number}}),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(ChangedTypeAndTrim, {"Sample"}, {{"All", each _, type table}, {"Result", each 
        [ water = Table.SelectRows(_, (x)=> x[Parameter] = "Water"){0}?,
          sugar = Table.SelectRows(_, (x)=> x[Parameter] = "Sugar")[Result]{0}?,
          check = if water[Unity] = "aa" then water[Result] * sugar / 10 else null,
          result = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(_) & {{check}}, Value.Type(_ & #table(type table[Calculation=number],{})))
        ][result], type table}}),
    CombinedResult = Table.Combine(GroupedRows[Result])
in
    CombinedResult

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

m_dekorte
Super User
Super User

Hi @sara11,

There are multiple ways to achieve this, here are two.

let
        t = Table.FindText( ChType, [Sample] ),
        a = if [Parameter] = "Water " and [Unity] = "aa" 
            then List.Product( Table.SelectRows(t, each [Parameter] ="Water " or [Parameter]="Sugar ")[Result]) /10 
            else null 
        ][a]
    )
in
    AddedCustom

or a Group By

let
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(ChType, {"Sample"}, 
        {
            {"t", each  Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (x)=> if x[Parameter] = "Water " and x[Unity] = "aa" 
                then List.Product( Table.SelectRows(_, (x)=> x[Parameter] ="Water " or x[Parameter]="Sugar ")[Result]) /10 
                else null )
            }
        }
    ),
    Combine = Table.Combine( GroupedRows[t] )
in
    Combine

with this result

m_dekorte_0-1712233416755.png

I hope this is helpful

m_dekorte,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce what you've given me. I've made some adaptations to my situation, but I get an error:

Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation.

let

Source = Table4,

t = Table.FindText( ChType, [Desc.Sample] ),

a = if [Parameter] = " Water" and [Units] = " aa"

then List.Product( Table.SelectRows(t, each [Parameter] =" Water " or [Parameter]=" Sugar")[Result]) /10

else [Result]

][a]

)

in

AddedCustom

With this, can you see where I'm going wrong?

Does Table4 refer to this query?

It's the name of my table.

Yes, I understand. 

However there doesn't appear to be any self referencing within the shared code. Therefore I am wondering if Table4 points to this query - the one for which you have shared the code - because that will generate:

Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation.

Hmm... Yeah. Maybe. I can't say. I don't know much about it, unfortunately.

If so, what can I do to reverse it?

Look for the query name (for which you shared the code) inside Table4 's code - if that name includes a space, special character or keyword the quoted notation will be used. To illustrate, let's say it is called: my Query, because this includes a space it will show up as #"my Query" in the M code inside Table4 but without a space myQuery will show as myQuery

To resolve it you have to determine which comes first and restore the Source step in that query to access the data that you need to transform. 

Alternatively you may be able to combine the logic from these two queries into one, but that is only possible if you do not require them as separate tables elsewhere in your workflow.

Thank you for your help!

I've already done it. Sorry I'm such a newbie.

Glad that worked out!

👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors