Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Nolmts7321

Adding and removing files from my data source

Hello,

I am very new to power query, but created a sheet that was working, but for some reason stopped. I try to refresh the data but it takes a painfully long time. I get an expression error but I checked the new sheets I added and nothing was different about the formatting. 

When it does refresh the query seems to be going through files that aren't in my source data folder. I ran out of ideas, and my YouTube excel education has run out. 

I tried changing the source folder and putting just one file in it but it would still take forever and not appear to be updating. We work on a cloud desktop, but I have also put the source folder on my C drive with no apparent change. 

I hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What connector are you using? File, Folder, or Sharepoint Folder?  Can you show a sanitized version of the Power Query code?

You mention Sheets.  Are you iterating trhough all sheets on all Excel files in a folder?

• It's a folder on my desktop, it's going through all the xls files in that folder. I can't unfortunately show that. My job computer is pretty restrictive.

I would recommend you move that folder to a OneDrive. I hope xls was a typo.  Don't ever use xls or xlsb.  Only use xlsx or xlsm.

It was! Apologies, I didn't have that option, I wish I could explain better. I can't even get the preview up when editing the query. Even when I'm testing it with a single file in the source folder.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors