Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Nolmts7321

Adding and removing files from my data source

Hello,

I am very new to power query, but created a sheet that was working, but for some reason stopped. I try to refresh the data but it takes a painfully long time. I get an expression error but I checked the new sheets I added and nothing was different about the formatting. 

When it does refresh the query seems to be going through files that aren't in my source data folder. I ran out of ideas, and my YouTube excel education has run out. 

I tried changing the source folder and putting just one file in it but it would still take forever and not appear to be updating. We work on a cloud desktop, but I have also put the source folder on my C drive with no apparent change. 

I hope this makes sense. Any help is greatly appreciated 

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What connector are you using? File, Folder, or Sharepoint Folder?  Can you show a sanitized version of the Power Query code?

You mention Sheets.  Are you iterating trhough all sheets on all Excel files in a folder?

• It's a folder on my desktop, it's going through all the xls files in that folder. I can't unfortunately show that. My job computer is pretty restrictive.

I would recommend you move that folder to a OneDrive. I hope xls was a typo.  Don't ever use xls or xlsb.  Only use xlsx or xlsm.

It was! Apologies, I didn't have that option, I wish I could explain better. I can't even get the preview up when editing the query. Even when I'm testing it with a single file in the source folder.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors