Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Craigja123
Regular Visitor

Extract 1 field from a PowerBI dataset

I have connected to a PowerBI dataset that shows the names of partners in my firm by unsing the 'run a query against a dataset' , I want to populate a MS Word document with this information, I know how to do this and its workfing fine for data from a SharePoint list but not from PowerBI.  I think the problem is the format of the data comign from PowerBI, Im not sure what it is and how to parse it so select the name field only.  Can anybody give me some pointers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You would need to use the "parse JSON" action to parse the fields. Parse JSON expects you to provide the schema, which you can get by copying the output of your initial "query a dataset" step - you can go into your flow history and open up that step to copy it, then paste it into the window in the parse JSON step (the one that is "from example" or similar language, not directly into the schema box). 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Craigja123
Regular Visitor

Yep, that was the step I was missing, now got it all working!

Cool, could you mark the post as resolved? Then it will be more likely to help people with a similar issue-- 

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You would need to use the "parse JSON" action to parse the fields. Parse JSON expects you to provide the schema, which you can get by copying the output of your initial "query a dataset" step - you can go into your flow history and open up that step to copy it, then paste it into the window in the parse JSON step (the one that is "from example" or similar language, not directly into the schema box). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors