Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Crashing!

Hello.

Previously, I had no problems refreshing my .pbix file (32-bit, 8gb, Oct-22') with data until I upgraded to the latest (32-bit, April '23) version of Power BI, and now it keeps crashing! Even when I try to do any edits in PQ. (Note, that I haven't loaded any data at this point). Automatic download of data previews in the background have been disabled. I suspected it was the RAM, and I even had IT upgrade me to 16gb, yet I am still facing this error.

Out of MemoryOut of Memory

I am a the point where I cannot even work anymore and I can't even make a new report because PBI crashes so much!

Additional info: I tried to downgrade and go back to the Oct '22 version, but it didn't work either. 😞

Please assist.

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your feedback . You can put your suggestion to Ideas Forum .

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Anonymous 

Uninstall PBI Desktop and download a previous version from the following link . Then open your file and see if it reports an error.

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-yetao1-msft .

Thank you for your response.

I downgraded to the March version, but it was still crashing, unfortunately. However, I have switched over to the 64-bit version and it seems to be working fine, now. I suspect the problem had to do with the virtual memory: 32-bit - (about) 1GB, 64-bit  - (about) 70GB.

I suggest, if possible, increasing the vm for the 32-bit version.

Regards.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for your feedback . You can put your suggestion to Ideas Forum .

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,