Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Open PBIP - Value can not be null: Parametername: stringToEscape

Hello,

I've got some problems to open an PBIP-File:

I've done the following steps:

1) Open PBI

2) Connect to an PBI Semantic Model

3) Everything works finde

4) Save File as PBIP

5) Close PBI

6) Try to open PBIP file from FileExplorer or direct from PBI and I get the following error:

tkiwi_0-1714747743305.png

My report is blank, I only connected to the semantic model.

My PBI Version: 2.128.1380.0 64-bit (April 2024)

I've got this error since the last two releases.

Everyone knows what this error means?

Hi @tkiwi 

I am so glad that you find the reason . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @tkiwi 

Can you show by screenshot how you opened the PBIP file ? If you open this pbip file directly in the documentation, does it report an error?

vyetao1msft_0-1714962074065.png

Best Regards,

tkiwi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I tried it now several times and now I think I know where the problem is:

If I create a new report based on another semantic layer, everything works fine. I can reopen the file. So the problem depends on my sematic layer.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @tkiwi 

I am so glad that you find the reason . I will change the status to "Delivered" .

Best Regards,

tkiwi
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I think I have to reopen this post.

I don't know if it is really a problem with my dataset because, when I connect to my dataset and save the report as "normal" .pbix everything works fine, I can close an reopen the report. But if I then save this report as .pbip close it and try to reopen I get the same error you can see in my first post.

Here is the Feedback error:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Der Wert darf nicht NULL sein.
Parametername: stringToEscape

Stack Trace:
System.ArgumentNullException
   bei System.Uri.EscapeDataString(String stringToEscape)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceLiveConnectionProperties.get_ProxyModelsStyleServerName()
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel.GetDataSourceIsland()
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Extended.DataModel..ctor(IAnalysisServicesDatabaseLive database, String schemaId, IReadOnlyList`1 entities, Boolean discourageCompositeModels, IEnumerable`1 extensions)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.<GetDataModelAsync>d__33.MoveNext()
--- Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde ---
   bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Der Wert darf nicht NULL sein.
Parametername: stringToEscape

Invocation Stack Trace:
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplicationLegacy(String[] args)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.128.1380.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceLiveConnectionProperties","Error":"System.ArgumentNullException","MethodDef":"get_ProxyModelsStyleServerName","ErrorOffset":"87","ErrorCode":""}

PowerBIUserFeedbackServices_IsReported:
True