Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New button slicer bug

Hello,

The new button slicer is an amazing new addition to the PowerBI toolkit.
However, I suspect that there could be a bug in relation to interacting with the slicer through buttons and bookmarks.

I have a very specific usecase where I want to open a "menu" using a button and a bookmark.
When doing this with the traditional slicer, the slicer would keep its selection when opening and closing the "menu" as long a data is deselected on the bookmarks.

However, when opening the bookmark which serves as the menu through a button, the button slicer is reset eventhough data is deselected which is not what I intend to do and not how I would expect it to work.
However, if I choose the "menu" bookmark directly, the button slicer is not reset.
Or if I have the slicer visible while the menu if opened and closed it doesn't reset either.
It is only when the button slicer is hidden and made visible through the interaction of a button opening a bookmark that the button slicer resets.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Kind regards Ronja

Hi  @_MrsRetler 

You mentioned that you opened a "menu" using a button and a bookmark , what is the "menu" ? Can you explain your issue via screenshots or video ? In this case , we can reproduce your issue easier .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
rusty123
Regular Visitor

Agreed. I love where they are going with the new slicers, but I am finding that the selection does not stick either when I publish to service or when I close the report in the service and re-open. Also found the slicer resets when switching between the vertical mobile version and horizontal desktop version.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi  @_MrsRetler 

You mentioned that you opened a "menu" using a button and a bookmark , what is the "menu" ? Can you explain your issue via screenshots or video ? In this case , we can reproduce your issue easier .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

_MrsRetler

Hello

Very understandable that you need more context 🙂

I am simply making the button slicer visible and hidden using bookmarks and buttons.
What I illustrate at the end, is that the selection is not reset if I choose the bookmark directly - it is only when selecting the bookmark through a button.

Hope you are able to see the video:
https://youtu.be/p6X_dL58i3o

BradleyBI
Regular Visitor

I have encounted the exact same issue. Here are the steps to recreate. 

1. In order to recreate the issue simply make a new shape and add some new button slicers to it. This will be your slicer panel that you want to Show and Hide through a couple buttons and bookmarks. 
  2. Group the elements in the panel together to make it easier to apply bookmarks.
  3. Add 2 buttons to the page. One will "Show" the slicer panel and the other will "Hide" the panel. 
  4. Create a new bookmark, deselect Data and select Selected Values. Make sure the slicer panel is showing and elements are selected. Update the bookmark. Rename it "Show Panel"
  5. Create another bookmark, deselect Data and select Selected Values. Make sure the slicer panel is NOT showing and the elements are selected. Update the bookmark. Rename it "Hide Panel"
  6. Now assign the bookmarks to the actions of the corresponding buttons. 
  7. Test it by showing the panel, making a selection of some slicer option. Hide the panel using the button, and show the panel again using the button. You will see the slicer values reset. Now try the same steps but instead use the bookmarks panel to show and hide and you will see the slicer values do NOT reset. 

Yunping

Very agreed, the selection in button slicer does not stick either when click other page and back or close report and reopen. the slicer always resets and can't stick anymore when swithover page.

ISDN
Frequent Visitor

I just labouriously changed all my Chiclet Slicers to the new Button Slicer and noticed this issue after publication (that'll teach me).  My main dashboard page has several drill throughs and navigation buttons to hiden pages that all have a Back Button.  The new Button Slicers on the main page now clear selections when returning to the page.

Please fix quick !

ginies
Frequent Visitor

I experience the same and other variances such as:

Imagine a 2 pages report with a New Slicer visual used in page 1.

1- Click or or more buttons on the Slicer in page 1

2- click to view page 2

3- click to view page 1

4- the selected buttons in step 1 above are unexpectedly unselected