Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

New Explore Preview feature - Fields hidden in semantic model in desktop are not hidden in Explore

If a user (with build access) goes to Create then pick a published semantic model, there are some tables/fields that have been purposefully hidden in the model in Power Bi desktop which the user does not see. However, if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app), those same tables/fields are visible.  We believe they should be hidden through-out Explore as well.

Hi  @ckooiman 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

When you chose a published dataset in PBI Desktop and created a report , you can not see the tables/fields that have been hidden in the published dataset ,right ? 

The second situation you mentioned that if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app),those same tables/fields are visible. Can you explain it in detail ? Are you doing this on Service? Can you show your steps via video or screenshot ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @ckooiman 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

When you chose a published dataset in PBI Desktop and created a report , you can not see the tables/fields that have been hidden in the published dataset ,right ? 

The second situation you mentioned that if the same user goes to OneLake data hub > selects Explore this data on the same semantic model (or accesses via workspace or report in app),those same tables/fields are visible. Can you explain it in detail ? Are you doing this on Service? Can you show your steps via video or screenshot ? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ckooiman
Regular Visitor

Here are some screenshots to better show what we feel is incorrect when using the new Explore preview feature:

We have some fields and tables hidden in our semantic model in Power BI desktop - see screen shot

ckooiman_0-1701272801075.png

As expected, those fields and table are hidden when a user accesses the semantic model to build a report in the service (using Create and then selecting the model):

ckooiman_1-1701272937726.png

However, if the same user uses the new "Explore this data" feature with the semantic model, whether through OneLake data hub, or through a report connected to the semantic model, they see the fields and table that should be hidden.  See screen shot from Explore the data:

ckooiman_2-1701273144912.png

We believe this is an error and they should not see hidden fields.

If you prefer I create a video to show this, please let me know.

annelebel
Regular Visitor

Agree. Seeing same as @ckooiman has shown above.  Also believe it should be hidden in Explore. 

ckooiman
Regular Visitor

This issue has been fixed.  Very frustrating that they don't let you know when they have fixed something you reported.  😞