Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Getting an issue in logging into external tenant organization from Power BI desktop.

Getting an issue in logging into external tenant organization from Power BI desktop , Switching organization from PBI Desktop to other PBI tenants Login and Sign in from PBI Desktop only recognizing now Corp Tenant ID only not external tenant login ID.

Hi @sgrewal 

Power BI Desktop has no login restrictions for external tenants. The only restriction is when it comes to sharing. Internal users are not allowed to share content directly from within the organization to external users, and there is no distinction between inside and outside the organization when logging into PBI Desktop or PBI Service. Unless your company's network security guidelines restrict the use of other domains.

I was able to log in to PBI Desktop using the two accounts in the screenshot, obviously they are not part of the same organization.

vyetao1msft_0-1685500748361.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @sgrewal 

Power BI Desktop has no login restrictions for external tenants. The only restriction is when it comes to sharing. Internal users are not allowed to share content directly from within the organization to external users, and there is no distinction between inside and outside the organization when logging into PBI Desktop or PBI Service. Unless your company's network security guidelines restrict the use of other domains.

I was able to log in to PBI Desktop using the two accounts in the screenshot, obviously they are not part of the same organization.

vyetao1msft_0-1685500748361.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

sgrewal
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft , This is working in previous version of PBI desktop , There is an update in current version of PBI desktop login screen and then this issue started which look like bug in this release of PBI desktop and needs to be reported to DEV team where we can't login into another organization/or external tenant using PBI desktop as explained by Adam in this video : (17) Publish from Power BI Desktop for External Users - YouTube . External user will be using same Corp Directory id but logging into different organization and now login from desktop in current version not working it's only logging into Corp tenant from desktop. If you need more details and screenshots we can setup a meeting for details.

sgrewal_0-1685535150115.png

hp0655
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem as the original poster - unable to log into external tenant. 

sgrewal
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft , Is there any update on this issue , It's impacting us a lot due to external tenant usage . Do you need more information from my end related to this issue.

RitzCracker
Advocate I

I too am having this issue with May 2023 release. I had to re-install the April 2023 Version just to be able to continue working! 

sgrewal
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft Please provide an update about this issue.

sgrewal
Advocate I

@v-yetao1-msft , Any update on this issue , our organization Power BI developer can't upgrade to new PBI desktop verison due to this issue as we use external tenants in our organization and in new PBI desktop version we can't login as external user, This is working in previous version of PBI desktop. 

Bourgi
Regular Visitor

Hi, same issue here.  Any updates? Impact is huge if not fixed in my organisation. We cannot keep on using this older april 2023 release forever.

sgrewal
Advocate I

Worked with Product group support team , This is a bug in June'23 release when they update login screen they will be pushing fix in July'23 release.

hp0655
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the update, sgrewal - it's good to know that a fix is coming!