Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Field Parameters Convert to Regular Tables When Live Connecting to a Semantic Model

When I live connect to a semantic model in the Power BI service, my field parameter tables show up. However, they are converted to regular tables and seem to lose their field parameter feature.

i.e. - When placed as the x-axis on in a chart, it no longer works as a field parameter.

Please see below forum post for reference:

Re: Field Parameters When Live Connection to Seman... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Hi @kewaynes ,

You can't create parameters in live connection data sources without a local model. However, if you use DirectQuery for Power BI semantic models and Analysis Services, you can add a local model to create field parameters. For more information about using DirectQuery for live connections, see Composite models on Power BI semantic models and Analysis Services.

For more you may see:Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

As a workaround,you may refer to :

Solved: Field Parameters Equivalent with Live Connection - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Using Parameters on PBI desktop with a Live Connec... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @kewaynes ,

You can't create parameters in live connection data sources without a local model. However, if you use DirectQuery for Power BI semantic models and Analysis Services, you can add a local model to create field parameters. For more information about using DirectQuery for live connections, see Composite models on Power BI semantic models and Analysis Services.

For more you may see:Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

As a workaround,you may refer to :

Solved: Field Parameters Equivalent with Live Connection - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Using Parameters on PBI desktop with a Live Connec... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn